iso fishing kayak

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbynum229

iso fishing kayak

Post by bbynum229 »

I'm looking for a used fishing kayak for fishing the flats. Not looking to spend too terribly much. Thanks in advance
2Salty

Re: iso fishing kayak

Post by 2Salty »

Why ask here? Most recently on this forum a few folks have said, " kayaks don't matter" (despite the fact that at least one of the respondents who said "kayaks don't matter" was at a previous time an active and avid kayak angler).
bbynum229

Post by bbynum229 »

Well I can't afford a boat and am getting back into kayak fishing now that my friends finally got some
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

The village idiot strike again !! :smt005
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I do okay fishing out of cheap kayaks on tidal creeks from Steinhatchee to Port St. Joe. Check Craigslist every day and you can get one for $300 or less. Just keep in mind that you need to do a lot of paddling research to find fish consistently within the range limitations of a kayak. I'm on the water about 100 days a year, and still have a lot to learn. Hard work will pay off.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

When you quote something, it's common practice to actually repeat the quote, not change it to suit your own slant. And it also helps to add context.

BBynum229, Gary has some good advice. Used reasonable kayaks pop up on CL fairly often, but the good buys don't last long. You have to be quick and ready with cash. There have been a few posted on here (that's how I found mine) and the FCKA.net forum has a classified section as well. Several of the local shops also sell their rental fleets periodically, so it would be worth a call to Wilderness Way and some of the other shops to see what they may have coming on the market.

Good luck with your search. It's a fun way to fish and there are plenty of opportunities around here if you put in your dues as Gary mentioned. Don't let sodium chloride encrust your enthusiasm.
Last edited by silverking on February 6th, 2017, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

What is the most you would spend? I know of a few for sale but they are more than $300. I would recommend buying something at least 12 feet for fishing the flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

BassPro has some marked down, at least they did last week.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

I got my Redfish 12 from Craigslist as a beginner's kayak. Here's some insight...

You don't need a Hobie, Native, or Jackson to find and catch fish. They are nice and worth every penny, but to a beginner it's wholly unnecessary. I consider a 12 ft sit on top kayak as a gold standard. Any longer and hull weight gets heavy, any less then tracking and stability declines. My Redfish 12 is 68 lbs, that's not lightweight, how are you transporting the kayak? I have J bars for my VW Rabbit, but if I drove anything taller then that kayak isn't getting up there.

What kind of physical shape are you in? The kayak you end up purchasing can't necessarily improve, but you can and will get stronger and become a better paddler. Your safe range will increase with speed and endurance, paddle tempo and form, ect. Put in the time and conditioning and you'll make it work.

If you need particular models to look for, Heritage Redfish 12 to 14, Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120, a Perception Pescador is an older Tarpon hull. The only sit-ins I've tried and would recommend is an older Old Town Loon and a Jackson Kilroy, all should be under 400 dollars second hand (not the Jackson though). I DO NOT recommend any Pelican, Sun Dolphin, Future Beach, especially in the 10 ft class. I do have a buddy with a Future Beach 124, but he's 5'8 and I only take him freshwater so it's literally perfect for him.

Buy the best kayak you can afford, but remember to save some money for a sweet Shimano Stradic too. As hard as you have to work just to lay into a fish, you do not want to doubting your gear. Do your research, save your money, and get something right for you the first time.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Look at the fcka site( it's down right now). Also, consider renting from wilderness way to try before yo buy. You may love or hate certain features ( I can't stand wet butt so an elevated seat is critical). I believe they will credit any rental fees to a yak purchase. Like previously mentioned, they sell their rental fleet from time to time. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Here's a Native Redfish 12 for $600. you can probably get it for a bit less...

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/spo/5992398242.html
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

I paid $400 for mine. That YakAttack Park-n-Pole is money though, paid $100 brand new for mine...
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I'd recommend spending more if you can, but if not, the main thing I look for is the weight capacity. My first kayak had a capacity of 350 lbs. I weigh 250 lbs. My butt was always wet, all of my tackle stayed wet, but I caught a lot of fish from it and had a blast. You can modify any kayak into a fishing kayak by adding a milk crate with a couple of pieces of pvc as rod holders.
Also, a good seat is worth the money, so is a good, properly sized paddle.
Good Luck!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb