St. Marks Hogfish

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

nobitchin

St. Marks Hogfish

Post by nobitchin »

Hey,
I want to learn how to catch hogfish in the St. Marks area. Is anyone able to catch hogs on a regular basis? If so I have a 2004 218 Sailfish and would love to learn. Watched about all I could find on youtube. Hogfish in my opinion is one of the most delicious fish out there. I hear they are hard to target on hook and line.
fishdux

Re: St. Marks Hogfish

Post by fishdux »

There are plenty of them out there in 20 foot or more. The only problem is the grunts. I've fished the areas they live hundreds of times and cant get past those grunts. The only way I have found to get them in this area is with a spear gun.
nobitchin

Post by nobitchin »

Is there a time of year when the water at St. Marks in the 20ft range is the clearest?
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Now. Winter is usually the clearest.
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

Any of the rocky areas around and South of 24 marker are loaded with hogfish in the summer. As noted before the winter has better visibility but not nearly as comfortable as summertime diving. They aren't the brightest fish out there and usually allow you to get really close. They also really like a shiny spear tip. They will swim right up to it and turn sideways.
:D