Flats or Creek?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Heath

Re: Flats or Creek?

Post by Heath »

Dixie Dawg wrote:Yes there is a very real concern about rocks at the aucilla. No channel markers at all.
Yeah, ive decided not to attempt Aucilla. Going to put in at St. Marks and go with some of the advice i've received and see what happens. Bringing the whole tackle box to attempt it all and see whats working.
Its not the arrow, Its the Indian...
LastCall1983

Post by LastCall1983 »

Didn't realize how many of us were from around South Georgia.

I dont get out winter fishing much because the drive is 2 hours or so to Steinhatchee and haven't had much luck when we have went. Went Christmas day and broke down a mile and a half out the mouth of the river and had to have Seatow bring us back in. On the way back in passed 8-9 boats in the mouth of the river fishing.. So we were in the wrong spot anyway haha.

Mid-end of march through June is when i do most of my fishing. I'll take some days off through the week and go when it's not crowded :wink:
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Yes, there are a bunch of us from SOWEGA around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon
Rbmcrae

Post by Rbmcrae »

LastCall1983 wrote:Didn't realize how many of us were from around South Georgia.

I dont get out winter fishing much because the drive is 2 hours or so to Steinhatchee and haven't had much luck when we have went. Went Christmas day and broke down a mile and a half out the mouth of the river and had to have Seatow bring us back in. On the way back in passed 8-9 boats in the mouth of the river fishing.. So we were in the wrong spot anyway haha.

Mid-end of march through June is when i do most of my fishing. I'll take some days off through the week and go when it's not crowded :wink:
Fished steinhatchee my whole life and now that I live in Bainbridge I have tried to learn more about St George/Apalach. Have had decent luck there during steinhatchees "off months" and once mid-March comes around I'll have to buy a little extra coffee bc my drive will get longer as I head back to the Hatch!

DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Aucilla can be navigated, but I would go with someone that knows the river and make notes about what route to take. It's best on high tide or at least higher water during a tide phase because most of the bad rocks are covered up then and you can float over them. But take your time, I usually run with my motor trimmed up a bit and constantly look down in the water for shallow spots or rocks. And the new landing is great, I wish they'd had it in years ago.
Yours in the South
Heath

Post by Heath »

LastCall1983 wrote:Didn't realize how many of us were from around South Georgia.

Yes i am from Thomasville area. Everywhere is in pretty close range. But i am the same during May-June i have had better luck in keaton and steinhatchee.
Heath

Post by Heath »

Wanted to give a report since i was given decent feed back.

I ended up not trying Aucilla or Ecofina and Went to St. Marks. My main purpose was to run the boat, i had my powerhead rebuilt and it was just finished so i wanted to make sure everything was running great. The engine ran awesome, I have a 90hp mercury 2 stroke. After riding for a little in the channel we fished some spots. Everytime i went to crank, it started with one key turn everytime. I used Kennys Marine which is just south of valdosta. Hes awesome if anyone ever needs major work done.

As for the fishing, Well, we tried everything. Fished the shore, the flats, Oyster beds etc. Tossed out every lure and item in my box. Caught a 17 inch trout the moment i stopped and decided to fish. That was the only bite i had all day, didnt even see any mullet jumping or anything swimming.
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

We did try it Friday but struck out. Caught several short trout and 2 juvie reds. Fished in the creek mouths.
Did see several boats out on the edge of the flats but we didn't have enough daylight to try "plan B".

tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Be careful fishing the creeks. Hit rock on Sunday that broke the drive shaft on my outboard.
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

Sometimes I wonder if an outboard motor stimulates a fish to bite. So many times I have stopped and first cast BOOM and then nothing. I know it's probably just coincidence but it happens enough to make me wonder.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

I have noticed a of fishless reports from the week end. My sons didn't have much luck either. How were the tides this week end?
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Pirate wrote:I have noticed a of fishless reports from the week end. My sons didn't have much luck either. How were the tides this week end?
Tides were awful.... we found some reds, but it was hard to get them to eat. We got a few nice ones, but had to work hard for them ( and hit a rock and busted driveshaft).
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
kom06

Post by kom06 »

The tides were weak this weekend at St. Marks. Saturday morning we fished the area and the morning high to low was .6ft and with the SE wind it barely moved. We persevered the weather and over the course of a few hours caught a slot red and 5 trout in the 18-20" range and let a few shorts go. Fish weren't persistent but seemed to be hanging around oyster bars on the edge of the flats and creek mouths. We caught a good fish about every half hour. Made it back to the boat ramp around 1130 and the sun came out.
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

Salty Gator wrote:
Pirate wrote:I have noticed a of fishless reports from the week end. My sons didn't have much luck either. How were the tides this week end?
Tides were awful.... we found some reds, but it was hard to get them to eat. We got a few nice ones, but had to work hard for them ( and hit a rock and busted driveshaft).
Same. Except for the drive shaft part.
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

Now the wind forecast for Saturday looks sketchy. May have to try it again Friday afternoon again. We have spring fever up here in GA.