Destin 10/24, 60 ft barge

This area is for discussing all aspects of diving and spearfishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Destin 10/24, 60 ft barge

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Thought i'd share this for the divers, Me and my son just did our certification dives, 1 in the bay and 1 in the ocean. It was awesome, water temp 77, nice with a 3/2 on. The bay trip was not so great, low visibility probably 10ft. We did the cones which were put out to hold fish and there were some, some small triggers and a spade fish or 2, but then again i couldn't see nothing. Any to the better part, we did the Miss Louise in 60 ft on sunday , the seas were about 3 + feet, pretty nice, i was the 1st one in the water, what me ? ahh ok , go down 20 ft wait there, ahh ok well off i went, stopped at 20 on the anchor line, looking up for my son, he stops and his eyes are real big and hes pointing behind me , i turn around to see a barracuda about 10 feet away maybe 30 inches or so long, turn back around and he has his knife out, pretty funny, get that put up before he sticks me and down we go. The vis was about 40 feet on the bottom and it was awesome , lots of fish, grouper, amberjack, spade fish,grunts, sailors choice, blue looking fish from the pet store, triggers and others. I did bring up a brand new anchor with about 75 feet of rope with a lift bag on the second dive and a couple of 6 oz weights. I spotted a flounder laying on the top of the barge and touched it with my hand and it moved down into the structure more but i saw where it went, so me, knowing already i'm gonna be sticking me some fish get the dive instructers attention, tell him my knife in his head, looks easy, he dosen't move when u touch him , he says ok wait till everyone goes up and we will go up last, anyway, by that time he moved again and i couldn't find him so much for that. I did see one grouper big enough but he was skiddish and hiding in the junk. The trigger fish , looked like i could kill them with anything that woud stickem, they weren't to scared. Anyway it was great and i'm coming back to the Big Bend with my new desire to hunt some fish... Frank
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice trip..congrats on the certification..... :beer: :thumbup:

Another bubble head is born :wink: :lol:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Congratulations on your certification, Frank. Sounds like fun.
What was I supposed to do today?
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

You've found my darn anchor and line and I sure appreciate it. Thanks for bringing it back. I saw my son fiddling with the anchor line and ZIINNG everything was gone. Did you also happen find an ambasador rod reel near by ?? If so, we need to talk.

When can I come over to your place and pick it up?

THANK YOU :thumbup: :thumbup:

MJ

<Just kidding ! :smt042 >
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Great trip Frank. :thumbup:
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Way to go Frank! Way cool!
Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by Wil »

Congrats! Welcome to the world of gear, gear, and more gear! Just remember, if you can carry it all to the boat by yourself, then you need to buy more. :-D

I can't imagine anything more addictive that spearfishing. Best of luck to you on your next trip.
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

I know what u mean on the gear thing, i'm loaded already.. and if u like hunting and fishing its the best of both worlds, u get to hunt fish, i think its gonna be hard to beat.. frank
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

I keep saying that one of these days I'll get certified. Well, one of these days I'll get certified so I can do some diving.

Nathan