best spinning rod for the money

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

carolinaskiff238dlv

best spinning rod for the money

Post by carolinaskiff238dlv »

I was thinking of trying out my Stradic 3000 on some snapper. Anyone attempted this yet. If so, what's the most reasonable rod you would pair up to this reel to handle these fish?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I have a med and a med light jigging rod( shimano trevella $120ish) w a 5000 Stradics that I love for snapper. In fact that is all I use them for( mostly big mangroves, but we do catch some nice ars also). A buddy caught a legit 80 lb cobia on a similar setup, but couldn't revive him. They look small, but have plenty of backbone. You could probably use a light, med light or maybe a medium.Talk to Lin an Kevin's, he will get you a good deal. You will be happy. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
carolinaskiff238dlv

Re: best spinning rod for the money

Thanks!!!!!!!!
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

I have a 7 ft. G. Loomis E6x Inshore 844S F for my 4000 Stradic FK and I feel that is a really good set-up, would be better to use the 5000 on it as far as balance is concerned, but it's pretty nice as it is. I use it for popping corks, enormous topwater plugs, and throwing frogs, but I'm pretty confident that stick has the power for medium offshore jigging.

I use a 6'6 G. Loomis E6x 782S for my 2500 Stradic FK, this one is the non-Inshore model with the green lettering on the rod. This set-up with 10 lb Sufix 832 has become my absolute favorite. I primarily throw a jerkbait style plastic with a 5/0 EWG worm hook weightless behind some 20 lb fluorocarbon, and it flies. The beauty of smaller tackle is the lighter line and lighter lures, so I wouldn't want to go to a rod that I lose that capability to throw a weightless jerkbait around an oyster bar. Since the 3000 Stradic is essentially the same as the 2500, I'd recommend the same 782S Loomis rod, or the 783S for a beefier 6'6 set up; an 842S or and 843S for a 7' variant- whichever feels better in your hands. I like the 6'6 because I catch most of my fish sitting on a kayak.

I don't know what the specific differences between the green E6x and the E6x inshore. From what I felt, the inshore models do away with the 1/16 to 1/18 lure weight models, and are essentially the heavy backbone models of the bass rods. They're pretty sweet rods for the money though, I prefer them over the St. Croix Premiers and Shimano Teramars, in my opinion.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I own 5 gloomis rods. But when you talk about best rod for the money, they are instantly out of the conversation. Good rods, but a little overpriced( the new e6x is a little more low end, but still over $150, and no jigging rod) You can get a lot more bang for your buck with other brands. Brands that come mind, falcon, star, all star, shimano, ugly stick. You really won't want a 7' casting rod to bottom fish with. It can be done, but a jigging rod will do much better. If you asked about tarpon or cobia, different answer. But for snapper, you can't go wrong with a lightweight jigging rod, whatever brand you choose. Good luck
This is what we did a couple of weeks ago( with mentioned rods)
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
carolinaskiff238dlv

Sweet! have any of you tried the Blair Wiggins Offshore spinning rods. I have a seen a couple in bait stores but haven't tried them.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THAT WALLY - MART SPECIAL FOR $29.95 COMBINATION 7 FT. WORKS GREAT FOR A YEAR OR TWO AND THEN , BUY ANOTHER ONE.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO