Trailer bearing question??

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Trailer bearing question??

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Got a new trailer last summer. When I get where I'm going I've been touching the hubs to see if hot and they have been good. The question is when and how much grease do you add through the grease fitting. A squirt every couple trips or what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Trailer bearing question??

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Do they have bearing Buddy's?
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:Do they have bearing Buddy's?
. Just a grease fitting under a rubber cap

doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I'd just grease it every couple of trips and every once in a while grease it enough to push the old past the axle seal
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:I'd just grease it every couple of trips and every once in a while grease it enough to push the old past the axle seal
I think the idea of the rear seal is to keep grease in not let it out. If you pump to much grease in it will blow out the rear seal and you will need to replace it. H&M has the EZ Lube hubs with the grease fitting on the end of the spindle. When you get enough grease in the hub the grease will push forward which will then be enough. The main thing to remember on the hubs is to make sure they stay adjusted by removing the cotter pin or flap washer and snug down the castle nut. This will be just as important as greasing the hubs.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Hit-n-Miss,
Yes, you do have bearing buddys, or some variation of it, on your hubs. The way they work is the cap with the grease fitting on it is spring loaded. That is what keeps a constant pressure on the grease insuring it is forced into the bearings while rotating. This eliminates air pockets which can cause cavitation and loss of lubrication in the bearings and hubs. This positive pressure also keeps out water and dirt which extends the life of the grease and hub assembly.
As long as there is spring pressure there is no need to add grease. Overfilling the hub will cause the grease to leak out of the rear seal, compromising it's ability to hold the grease in where it is needed. If the rear seal is leaking it should be replaced.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I try to touch them once every trip but regularly forget.

If your truck has a second odometer then set it every time you grease them(helpful). Don't overdue it with the grease just a squirt. Also helps to pull the bearing buddy to see if anything is going on in there. 2 taps with a hammer could save you a ruined trip.

Every 500 miles should do the trick or after every long layup.

IMO they are cheap and easy to replace so i'm going to start replacing them every year for piece of mind.

Buy a spare hub that fits and toss it in the truck. Easy fix if you have one or leaving your boat on the side of the road while you desperately try to find parts = ruined trip.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

As stated above you have EZ Lube type hubs, the grease goes through the middle of the spindle, out at the back bearing, then moves forward to and through the front bearing and out the face of the hub. No spring like the bearing buddies. You have the best system, I grease mine every few trips with just enough to push out some old grease. If possible do it with tire jacked up and spin the tire as you fill with grease. I do this during spring maintenance before first trip of year and check the brake pads too.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Thanks guys.

guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I have the easy lube hubs and at the beginning of each season I do what was mentioned above and pump grease slowly through the hub forcing out the old grease. Be prepared, as this takes a lot of grease to accomplish. Be sure to slowly rotate the wheel as you do this.e
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WELL I AM FROM THE OLD SCHOOL, I HAVE 3 BOAT TRAILERS, ALL HAVE OIL LUBRICATED BEARINGS, THE HUB HAS A RUBBER POP OUT PLUG, THE HUBS ON THESE TRAILERS ARE CHECKED EACH TIME WE COME IN FROM FISHING IF IT WILL BE A MONTH OR MORE BEFORE WE GO AGAIN. I USE STP OIL TREATMENT IN THE HUBS, IT IS GOOD FOR 50,000 MILES. I USED THESE TYPE OF HUBS ON ALL OF THE 200 TRUCKS WE USED TO HAUL AUTOMOBILES. NEVER HAD A BEARING GO BAD. WE WOULD CHANGE OIL IN EACH OF THE BEARING HUBS AT 500,000 MILES, AND REPLACE WITH STP OIL TREATMENT OIL. NEVER FORCE GREASE INTO A BEARING TIL IT COMES OUT THE BACK SEAL, YOU HAVE JUST RUINED THAT BEARING FOR GOOD IF YOU BACK INTO ANY WATER, THE WATER BEING THINNER THAN OIL WILL INFILTRATE THE BEARING AND IT WILL NOT LAST OVER A COUPLE OF TRIPS IN SALT WATER.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO