GPS questions from a primitive fisherman

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

GPS questions from a primitive fisherman

Post by BloodyChamp »

...maybe not primitive but certainly not as advanced on the technological side of our little thing called fishing. I'm interested in getting a handheld GPS that would fit inside my big but not bass tournament type huge tacklebox, to take the place of my phone. All I would use it for is looking at where I'm at on the map. I don't really care about getting exact random information through satellite images, depth finders, fish finders etc. Just a map that shows where I'm at live. I went to West Marine and the guy was nice but just a teensy weensy bit overbearing lol! I've also looked around online but since I don't know anything about these things...are the ones under $100 in Walmart good enough or would that be to good to be true?

Also would this be something you could buy used like a laptop if you treaded carefully? Or are more like our phones that are usually finished once somebody is trying to sell them?
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: GPS questions from a primitive fisherman

Post by DEMON »

The Garmin Etrex will do the basics such as position, save marks, bread crumb trails, speed & very basic mapping. I have one for my ditch bag. From your description of your needs it will do just fine. One accessory I would get is a 12v plug as the battery life on these can be pretty short.
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

If you are used to using your phone, you can get the Navionic's app. It has all the features that my GPS mounted on my boat, minus the sonar and thermometer. I use the app as my backup, but if you are used to fishing with nothing at all in terms of GPS it may be worth looking at. It is much cheaper than buying a GPS unit.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Use marine navigator and navionics on a cell phone if you want to go cheap, if you want a dedicated one I have an old Garmin some where that would fit in your tackle box I'd get rid of for cheap.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Two observations: app is a good idea if where you fish has good cell coverage. If spotty, it won't help when you might need it most. Secondly, a gps unit with built in chart plotter is the best alternative. I have a handheld with the same NOAA charts that are on the bigger units. It's my backup or for use in the kayak.
Etrex does not have that sort of mapping for marine use.
Last, using a phone or a handheld on a boat is ok, but screen is real small for easy viewing, but will work.
EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

The navionics app works when you are out of cell range.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
800-Beer4Fish
Site Sponsor

Post by 800-Beer4Fish »

I have been using a Garmin GPSMAP 76CCSX that comes with tides. Also has the marine navaids. Have a chip with a rather old version of Bluechart. Use this as backup to the one on the boat. Check eBay out for a used one - number f them for sale - some quite cheap
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Have owned both the eTrex and GPSMAP color 76CCSX. The map version is definitely a much more comprehensive unit and should serve your purpose well. As 800 mentioned, you can find good deals on them on eBay.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Salty Gator wrote:The navionics app works when you are out of cell range.
Thanks for correcting my post. I never knew the app could do that! As long as the map itself is previously downloaded and you have a phone with gps (most do) works without cellular.

Amazing to me, but cool. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

My factory downloaded Maps has never not worked on any phone I've ever had. I'd just rather have 2 on a trip where I depend on it in case anything happens.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Use marine navigator on android and you use predownloaded RNC that you always have , the phone just provides GPS.