Gheenoe question for a friend..

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

xXLoneBowmanXx

Gheenoe question for a friend..

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

A friend of mine is looking into purchasing a gheenoe for inshore fishing in the rivers and estuaries and would like to take it out to the flats on calm days. The model he is looking at is 56" wide. I've never been in one, so I'm hoping someone can offer up some thoughts on how they do when the wind and current kick up around the oyster bars. What kind of chop can they handle? Any opinions are appreciated. He's never owned a boat and is just getting started with inshore saltwater fishing.
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
bbb

Re: Gheenoe question for a friend..

Post by bbb »

For the price of a gheenoe, he can probably find a well used 1648 aluminum boat and feel safer. Doesn't take much wind to make it unsafe to be in a gheenoe
Little grasshopper

Post by Little grasshopper »

I have a Gheenoe Classic that I fish the flats, creeks,and oyster bars with. COuple of times I went out and had no issues until coming in with a 15 mph wind and running into the wind. Was pretty wet ride but just spray and safe. I don't use it as much since I got a bigger boat but I still use it in winter and spring to put in the creeks and poke my head out to the bars.. Been a few miles out in mine on calm days out to 8ft. Its very stable when in close or 5-10 winds. Caught a many a trout and reds from that boat.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

xXLoneBowmanXx wrote:A friend of mine is looking into purchasing a gheenoe for inshore fishing in the rivers and estuaries and would like to take it out to the flats on calm days. The model he is looking at is 56" wide. I've never been in one, so I'm hoping someone can offer up some thoughts on how they do when the wind and current kick up around the oyster bars. What kind of chop can they handle? Any opinions are appreciated. He's never owned a boat and is just getting started with inshore saltwater fishing.
I have a Classic and fish out of it extensively, but first and foremost it's a duck boat for hp restricted lakes. For its size, it's very seaworthy, but these boats have extremely low gunnels...it doesn't take much chop and a headwind to get soaked, and a stiff 2' chop, which can kick up very quickly, can get a little hairy. For a do-all fishing boat for this area, it wouldn't be my first choice, but they're great boats--I love mine.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I have an off-brand (Riverhawk B-60) that I love for inshore and river/creek fishing. I prefer it over a jon boat because of it's stability, but the others are correct when they tell you it does NOT handle rough water well. A metal jon-boat may be better for bouncing off oyster bars, stumps, rocks, logs, etc., but the Gheenoe style is a great boat, you just have to pick your days when it comes to saltwater, and maybe be willing to switch it up to freshwater when the weather is iffy.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I also used to have ( friend still has) a 15' x 5' riverhawk. If there is any chop you will be soaked. Super wet boat. My buddy has a 14' Jon w some plywood decking that I like a lot better. More fishing room up front and not nearly as wet. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Thanks, all! This pretty much confirms my assumptions. I think I am going to recommend paying up for an actual flats boat.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

I pulled some specs to refresh my memory: the Classic has a 55" beam, whereas the LT 25 has a beam of 56". If the LT 25 is the boat he's considering, I think there are a few guys on the board that own(ed) one, so hopefully they'll chime in...it's a slightly larger boat, but that's about all I know first-hand. Either way, all the Gheenoes, riverhawks, etc fall into the category of microskiff. If it's creeks/rivers/protected waters he intends to fish, or he doesn't intend to make long runs from protected water and picks his days, either may be a good option.

If he does choose to go the Gheenoe route, one recommendation...unless he intends to cut the front bench out, steer clear of the 3-bench layout. IMO, the only thing the front bench is good for is taking up otherwise useable space. It makes stowing gear awkward, and if the chop does pick up, you won't want anyone sitting that far forward. I put up with mine for years before finally removing it and adding a false floor (another feature I strongly recommend), and I can't emphasize how much more user-friendly my boat is now. A great resource for any other specifics, if he's not already aware of it, is customgheenoe.com.
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

RCS wrote:I pulled some specs to refresh my memory: the Classic has a 55" beam, whereas the LT 25 has a beam of 56". If the LT 25 is the boat he's considering, I think there are a few guys on the board that own(ed) one, so hopefully they'll chime in...it's a slightly larger boat, but that's about all I know first-hand. Either way, all the Gheenoes, riverhawks, etc fall into the category of microskiff. If it's creeks/rivers/protected waters he intends to fish, or he doesn't intend to make long runs from protected water and picks his days, either may be a good option.

If he does choose to go the Gheenoe route, one recommendation...unless he intends to cut the front bench out, steer clear of the 3-bench layout. IMO, the only thing the front bench is good for is taking up otherwise useable space. It makes stowing gear awkward, and if the chop does pick up, you won't want anyone sitting that far forward. I put up with mine for years before finally removing it and adding a false floor (another feature I strongly recommend), and I can't emphasize how much more user-friendly my boat is now. A great resource for any other specifics, if he's not already aware of it, is customgheenoe.com.
The LT 25 is what he is looking at. I thought it would be great for creek and river fishing on most days, but I was a little hesitant about the protected waters. In the mouth of the St. Marks around the oyster bars and places like the ochockonee bay bridge, I've seen the current and chop rip through with force consistently and create some strong chop. Those are kind of areas that would worry me in gheenoe.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Have fished a few times in LT25s with the DOA team and my buddy here locally. Definitely a micro skiff that has its limitations but surprisingly stable, very shallow draft and a lot quieter than a jon. Poles fair--not the best tracker with the flattened bottom. It will bounce you around a little in a head chop but surfs over wide waves. That said, it does well in the shallows, tidal creeks and lakes/rivers if you pick your days. You won't be zipping off to K Tower in one though. Multiple trips on 3-gallon tank of gas. Also tends to bog down (fouled prop) when the floating grass gets too thick.

As with any micro, you pick the area and trailer to the closest ramp to minimize exposure. Keeping an eye on the weather and coming back in before the sea breezes pick up are good practices too.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I've had both a 15 foot jon boat and a Gheenoe LT-25. (still have the Gheenoe)

I can't say I felt any safer in the Jon boat. Both will work for creek fishing out of the Lighthouse. Neither would be suitable for Ochlochnee Bay. You have to think in terms of "protected water" with these boats. Don't cross ANY bodies of open water. Don't go into deeper than you can stand up in. Stay close to shore in case you have to hide from a storm, maybe even beach the boat and wait it out. The Jon is just too noisy for my style of fishing. The LT is very quiet, floats in spit, runs in almost nothing, and is very stable and comfortable.

The LT is not a do it all boat, not even close. I would not trade mine for the world. (I also have a 19' Bay boat)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
oysterhsdr

Post by oysterhsdr »

rockyg wrote:I've had both a 15 foot jon boat and a Gheenoe LT-25. (still have the Gheenoe)

I can't say I felt any safer in the Jon boat. Both will work for creek fishing out of the Lighthouse. Neither would be suitable for Ochlochnee Bay. You have to think in terms of "protected water" with these boats. Don't cross ANY bodies of open water. Don't go into deeper than you can stand up in. Stay close to shore in case you have to hide from a storm, maybe even beach the boat and wait it out. The Jon is just too noisy for my style of fishing. The LT is very quiet, floats in spit, runs in almost nothing, and is very stable and comfortable.

The LT is not a do it all boat, not even close. I would not trade mine for the world. (I also have a 19' Bay boat)
I've owned Gheenoe 15'4 Highsider since 2007, which is substantially less sea-worthy than the LT25 and I must say I think your limitations for the Gheenoe are super conservative; I think you have to use some common sense and really pay attention to the weather, but limiting yourself to those parameters is a little paranoid in my opinion.

I've fished extensively out of Ochlockonee Bay/Bald Point, Alligator Harbor, Lanark and St. Marks (even scalloping in St. Marks), most of the time with trolling motor, battery, cooler and 2 anglers. I've honestly never had a situation where I thought I was in legitimate danger, with the exception of a boat wake on Lake Jackson of all places. I just pay very close attention to the weather and am not afraid to call a trip off that morning if the conditions aren't ideal, also selecting where you fish according to wind direction also helps, but honestly I would probably do this even with a larger boat to get the most ideal conditions.

I think safety is important and would never knock you for making the safe call, but acting like you're risking your life every time you leave the landing in a Gheenoe is a little conservative.
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

oysterhsdr wrote:
rockyg wrote:I've had both a 15 foot jon boat and a Gheenoe LT-25. (still have the Gheenoe)

I've owned Gheenoe 15'4 Highsider since 2007, which is substantially less sea-worthy than the LT25 and I must say I think your limitations for the Gheenoe are super conservative; I think you have to use some common sense and really pay attention to the weather, but limiting yourself to those parameters is a little paranoid in my opinion.

I've fished extensively out of Ochlockonee Bay/Bald Point, Alligator Harbor, Lanark and St. Marks (even scalloping in St. Marks), most of the time with trolling motor, battery, cooler and 2 anglers. I've honestly never had a situation where I thought I was in legitimate danger, with the exception of a boat wake on Lake Jackson of all places. I just pay very close attention to the weather and am not afraid to call a trip off that morning if the conditions aren't ideal, also selecting where you fish according to wind direction also helps, but honestly I would probably do this even with a larger boat to get the most ideal conditions.

I think safety is important and would never knock you for making the safe call, but acting like you're risking your life every time you leave the landing in a Gheenoe is a little conservative.
Well, if you know my luck, my life is at risk on the water no matter what I drive, lol. But I appreciate that information. I think my buddy is really considering getting a gheenoe. He doesn't fish a lot, so I think he will be ok coordinating his trips according to the weather.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I'm comfortable with my assessment of my boats capabilities. In my 50 plus years of operating boats of various sizes I have been on hundreds of trips. I have used my good judgement to safely return to port without assistance, with my crew safe and my vessel intact.....every time.

A Gheenoe is a fine craft when used as it was intended.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat