Tyndall AFB

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Pirate

Tyndall AFB

Post by Pirate »

Does anyone have any experience fishing the area around Tyndall AFB? Ramps, type of bottom etc. Never heard much about it but the other day a guy with a place in Mexico Beach said that was about the only place he fished. Just wondering about it. salute3
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Tyndall AFB

Post by Juan »

I used to fish around Tyndall quite a bit but seldom do now since it seems they keep changing their regulations and it's become a pain to keep up with which areas are off limits and which aren't. I think there's still a 500 foot buffer into the publicly-accessed waterways around all Tyndall property. They do patrol and will check you and run you off if you enter one of those areas. That being said, I never found the fishing there any better than other places in the bay and actually do better on the north shore. There are several ramps on Tyndall but I think most still require an ID card or permit to use. If you have authorization, there's a great ramp at the marina and two others on the west side of the base near the bridge and Pearl Bayou. Then there's a public ramp on the East side of Crooked Island with some great trout fishing near the ramp. I've used and would recommend any of them except maybe Crooked Island ramp. It's on the end of a dirt road and the ramp is not much more than a washed out area in a shallow sand bar. If you're planning on using that one, I'd suggest a 4 wheel drive tow vehicle.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Juan wrote: If you're planning on using that one, I'd suggest a 4 wheel drive tow vehicle.
2nd that
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Research Road ramp is the only ramp you can access that is really a boat ramp for crooked island sound - there is another on the "beach" road, but it is primitive. They require you to have a permit to use the ramp and fish the area - that was recently imposed and policing of it is hit or miss. I have heard of some folks being put in the back of the MP car - but they were fishing on land at night - so.

Good place to fish - be careful where you run - can run aground if you don't know where to go.

If they are launching drones they will ask you to leave or restrict your access to limited areas - you can listen to Channel 16 generally at 1600 to know if launches are planned the next day - there is a number to call too, but I don't have it.

There is a ramp on the east side of the Dupont bridge in Panama City that you can use - only used it once - there are public ramps within .5 miles that are better IMO. Generally no issue fishing St. Andrews bay around Tyndall unless security is elevated for some reason....there is a fuel dock and they do not generally like people hanging around it.

If you have base access - CAC card or military ID - none of the above generally applies - There are ramps on base for CIS (dirt ramp) and St. Andrews bay (Marina on base)
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Thanks guys, Very helpful. May give it a shot once I "get" legal.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!