Would you still fish if you couldn't keep anything?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Would you still fish if you couldn't keep anything?

Post by Salty Gator »

From reading other threads got me wondering, especially when I hear " it's not worth going fishing anymore cause you can't keep enough". Would y'all still fish if it was catch and release only? Inshore? Nearshore? Offshore?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Danibeth

Re: Would you still fish if you couldn't keep anything?

Post by Danibeth »

Yup I would. I dont generally keep much anyway. I love to fish, love to eat fish but really dislike cleaning fish. Every so often if its special or particularly tasty fish that I have a hankering for, then I will keep it. But mostly I throw everything back anyway. I rarely go offshore because of how prone to motion sickness I am, though I do enjoy it when Im not throwing up. I am more likely to keep fish then, but thats more because its so infrequent I go out there and I do enjoy snapper and grouper, regardless of how many Im allowed to keep.
tabb

Post by tabb »

Probably not. Would have to find a different species I could eat.
Next catfish I catch will go in the box.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I would, but it would be much more limited. I enjoy it too much, though my career path is not helping at the moment.
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

Yes. Rarely keep fish.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I very rarely keep a Trout or Red and I fish a lot.......so limits are not a concern to me personally. I wish there were so many fish that we didn't need limits.

Catching quality fish is one thing I enjoy. The opportunity to be on the water, the experiences of the day, that is by far the most important aspect to me. I may feel that way due to my age. I have way more fishing trips behind me than I have in front. I think about taking my Dad (79) fishing every Friday and seeing first hand how age slowly steals your abilities. Having to tie knots for the man who taught me how. Worrying that he can keep doing what he loves to do.

Keeping a 2 pound Trout is the least of my concerns.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

rockyg wrote:I very rarely keep a Trout or Red and I fish a lot.......so limits are not a concern to me personally. I wish there were so many fish that we didn't need limits.

Catching quality fish is one thing I enjoy. The opportunity to be on the water, the experiences of the day, that is by far the most important aspect to me. I may feel that way due to my age. I have way more fishing trips behind me than I have in front. I think about taking my Dad (79) fishing every Friday and seeing first hand how age slowly steals your abilities. Having to tie knots for the man who taught me how. Worrying that he can keep doing what he loves to do.

Keeping a 2 pound Trout is the least of my concerns.
Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:I would, but it would be much more limited.
What he said.
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

I don't like cleaning a bunch of fish. Frozen fish does not taste the same as fresh fish. So I don't freeze a lot of fish. Fresh fish is a very special delicacy for me. It's a very special food.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I'd be humming "Just some good ole boys, never meanin no harm. Beat all you ever saw, been in trouble with the law since the day they was born!", as I slid the fish into my cooler.
When fishing is outlawed, only outlaws will have fish!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
JWCAMILLA

Post by JWCAMILLA »

I would keep fishing. I fish bass tournaments in Ga, Al, Fl and even if I'm not fishing a tournament, I release the fish that I catch in hopes they survive to be caught another day. If all bass fisherman that fish fresh water lakes for bass kept all the bass that they caught to eat, the bass populations would plummet. That is one reason B.A.S.S, FLW and every other bass organization that I have ever heard of promotes catch and release of healthy fish. That's why they penalize you if you have a dead fish. It's to sustain the resource. I do like to keep a few trout, flounder etc for table fare but not to stock my freezer. I just enjoy fishing and the hopes of catching the "big un"!
"KEEP ON KEEPING ON"
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

red_yakker wrote:I'd be humming "Just some good ole boys, never meanin no harm. Beat all you ever saw, been in trouble with the law since the day they was born!", as I slid the fish into my cooler.
That's funny ... :lol: You have got to be an Ol' Florida Cracker....and Yes I would still fish
Last edited by Gulf Coast on May 24th, 2017, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks folks 11 replies in 40 minutes is strong. Seems like we are getting all sides of it. Thanks again keep the comments coming
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Already do. Seldom keep anything, but once I'm set up I probably will keep a few for the grill. Look how many target tarpon and bones and have no expectation of meat in the pot. I put ladyfish and carp in there also. As long as something is pulling back and its on a fly, I'm happy.
JWCAMILLA

Post by JWCAMILLA »

red_yakker wrote:I'd be humming "Just some good ole boys, never meanin no harm. Beat all you ever saw, been in trouble with the law since the day they was born!", as I slid the fish into my cooler.
I think I'll go get my boat wrapped in the General Lee Colors and have my horn sound like it too. That would be the coolest boat on the water! As I slid a trout in the cooler!! :thumbup: :D
"KEEP ON KEEPING ON"