I scouted St. Marks for scallops on June 30th

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ted in Tallahassee

I scouted St. Marks for scallops on June 30th

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

I went to the usual areas as well as my GPS'd 2016 hot spots in my usual pre-season reconnaissance. (Man it was insane last year, there were tons of them.) Though the water pretty mush resembled iced tea, it was clear iced tea, and wasn't cloudy with stirred up silt or anything) except for one area. With bright overhead sun and looking at the still water at the lee of the boat you could see the bottom pretty well. I checked the usual areas from just east of the lighthouse to Black Rock to a little past Grey Mare.

I did not see one scallop. Not a one!

I did not check the deeper areas closer to the stake line, it was just too deep/dark to see anything.

That is all.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Re: I scouted St. Marks for scallops on June 30th

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

That's unfortunate.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:That's unfortunate.
Lots of rain. Means green lawns but few scallops at St Marks. Maybe St Joe Bay will still hold them.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

I did not scout them, but did look for them today. The navy was out in force. We moved a bunch of times and the 7 of us picked up about 25 scallops total. Tough day, but at least it was calm early.
Ted in Tallahassee

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

I went Friday (July 7th) with a friend and we scouted all over the place from the surface, didn't see ANY scallops, so we went to the usual flotilla area (east of the lighthouse) and anchored and went in. After about an hour and a half, picking up anchor and drifting with the boat, we got a whopping 24 scallops.

They're there, but spread thin to the point there's not enough to be visible from the surface. I will go back and try some of last year's spots and just dive them to see if there are any.

Nice day though. Beats being at work.

Oh, and in the AM we got two reds and two nice 20"+ trout.