St George Island

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

justcoastn

St George Island

Post by justcoastn »

Good morning all. My boss came to me this morning and asked me if I would take him and some clients out fishing on my boat this Saturday. They have a house on the bay side of St George island not far from the bridge. I have to take out two separate groups. I have only fished the bay once and that was for trippletail on markers. I did well but I don't think that would be something these folks would enjoy. I'm looking for a place in the bay that I can put them on some fish relatively quick. Does the bridge hold any fish this time of year? Are there any grass/sand flats areas that would be a good spot to find trout. Heck, a flat loaded with ladyfish or a bar with some Spanish would keep them occupied for a few hours and make my day a lot easier. These guys and gals are not fisherman. Anything pulling on the other end of the line will make them happy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
bbb

Re: St George Island

Post by bbb »

I haven't fished there lately but I think you're on the right track.

We always did good at the cut early in the morning. Around midday, take advantage of the shade of the bridge. We have caught flounder, redfish and trout under the bridge.

Ask one of the bait stores on the island for a bay report.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

There are some good grass flats between the bridge and the cut, over toward the plantation side. Not too far from the houses and docks. I never fished there, but have read a lot of good reports from people trout fishing there.
Yours in the South
mattally

Post by mattally »

Squid on the bottom or cork under bridge will produce some giant sail cats if your looking for fast action.
Russ@R&R

Post by Russ@R&R »

Trout & Reds on oyster bars and grass around Goose Island (on bay side of SGI, east of the bridge) and to the east from there. All the sharks you could ever want to catch around there, too.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I'll be down this weekend myself staying not far from where you mentioned. I hope to go offshore if the weather will cooperate. Like mentioned above, good fishing towards the cut. Look for the peninsula sticking out into the bay. That's the airport runway. From there to the cut is good red and trout fishing. Drifting the cut with live bait or anchor up just outside will yield all sorts of fish. Should keep your clients busy. What will you be in? I'll keep an eye out for you.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
justcoastn

Post by justcoastn »

Thanks for all the good info gents, It will make things a lot less stressful for sure. Ill be in a Key West 190 Sportsman Flatts . Maybe I'll see ya out there. Thanks again
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

If you just want to catch fish in numbers and keep them busy put in under the bridge, head straight east on the intercoastal channel. About three miles from the bridge the intercoastal markers bear you left. Don't bear left but just go straight or 0ne oclock. About a half mile out there is deep area about 28 to 30 feet off some 4 foot bars. Its on your charts but not real obvious. Anchor, take cut bait, drop straight down and fish. Over the last 30 years we have caught every fish in that swims in the bay in this hole. It has made a lot of fishermen happy and saved a lot of trips. Its before goose island. From the ramp you can angle to the intercoastal at about 45 degrees and have decent depth. Do be careful in this entire bay as oyster bars can jump up and bite you. Run the channels if you aren't familiar with the area.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!