Harvey/TX Gulf Coast

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Harvey/TX Gulf Coast

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THE SON OF MY MARINE FRIEND THAT DIED 5 YRS. AGO , HAD A 1,000 ACRES OF COTTON GROWN AND READY TO BE COMBINED, LOST IT ALL, SAID THAT HE COULD NOT SEE ANY COTTON ABOVE THE WATER IN HIS WHOLE FIELDS, THIS WILL WIPE HIM OUT COMPLETELY, 2 YRS. AGO HE LOST HIS WHOLE CROP DUE TO DROUTH AND NOW THIS. I SUGGESTED THAT MAYBE SOMEONE IS TRYING TO TELL HIM SOMETHING WHICH IS HARD FOR HIM TO ACCEPT SINCE HE HAS BEEN FARMING THIS LAND FOR THE LAST 10 YRS. AND JUST ABOUT HAD IT PAID FOR.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Rangerpat
Site Sponsor

Post by Rangerpat »

Gulf Coast wrote:The good Lord gave me the ability to think for myself, I would't have waited for the gov to do it for me. Most everyone knew a hurricane was coming.
Nobody ever thinks it will happen to them, only to the other person.

Last week I offered my home as a evacuation location to my cousins who live in Houston, their reply was, "we will shelter in place."

Monday was the last day I heard from them via I-phone, power went out on Sunday night, they have a two-story house and plan to move upstairs if the first floor floods.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by Hurricane Harvey.

UPDATE: My cousin called me this afternoon to tell me they were rescued by two men in an airboat (from Katy, TX) this morning and taken to a staging area. They are waiting on their son in-law to drive over from San Antonio to pick them up and take them to his house.
Last night a dam was opened up on Buffalo Bayou near their neighborhood; the water level rose inside their home and they called an emergency phone number to request evacuation.
Last edited by Rangerpat on August 30th, 2017, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Can you imagine this flooding happening in our area ? Is Houston the same distance from the gulf as Tallahassee ?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Houston is right on Galveston Bay and has an average elevation of about 50 feet. Tallahassee is not right on any large bay or inlet and has an average elevation about 3 times higher. (140 - 150 feet).
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Not too hard to imagine Live Oak, FL June 2012 TS Debby dropped around 27" in 2 days about 55 miles from the coast as the crow flies... still can't imagine 50"+ like TX got.

2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Houston has elevation of 50 to 125, Tallahassee is 203. Big difference plus no river or coastal area
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I understand that evacuation plans were reworked after Rita, but the thing is that all of Houston didn't need to evacuate. However, the areas that were known to be at high risk and people with high risk health issues could have been evacuated. Most with good common sense evacuated, unfortunately, there are so many there who depend on government to take care of them and it didn't. All the misery being suffered there just breaks my heart!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Another thing to think about with the tx flooding is their soil don't drain as well as the soils in ga or fl, their interstate overpasses tend to be low spots and prone to flooding. The interstate interchanges in downtown Houston are in a big bowl shaped depression as well. Plus the bayou's north of Houston all made the flooding worse. The coastline is a little more protected in fl as well. Any time one of those systems stalls flooding will be an issue, look at how far Albany and Montezuma were from the coast in the 1994 flood.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY MD, MOST PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO LOOSE EVERYTHING YOU HAVE, I DO. WE LOST THE OLD HOMESTEAD TO FIRE, EVERYTHING WE HAD EXCEPT THE CLOTHES ON OUR BACK. AGAIN IN 1957, WE LOST 27 YRS. OF WORK AND SWEAT TO THE DEC. FREEZE DOWN IN AVON PARK. I HAVE ALSO LOST A BUNDLE OF MONEY TO THE ENRON FEASCO, SINCE ENRON I HAVE GONE COMPLETELY TO CASH, I STILL DO NOT CONTROL EVERY THING BUT MOST OF IT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:HEY MD, MOST PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO LOOSE EVERYTHING YOU HAVE, I DO. WE LOST THE OLD HOMESTEAD TO FIRE, EVERYTHING WE HAD EXCEPT THE CLOTHES ON OUR BACK. AGAIN IN 1957, WE LOST 27 YRS. OF WORK AND SWEAT TO THE DEC. FREEZE DOWN IN AVON PARK. I HAVE ALSO LOST A BUNDLE OF MONEY TO THE ENRON FEASCO, SINCE ENRON I HAVE GONE COMPLETELY TO CASH, I STILL DO NOT CONTROL EVERY THING BUT MOST OF IT.
PA
SEMPER FI
PA, I've been fortunate not to have suffered the loss of a home, however, I have helped friends who did and it was awful.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!