The curse of a GoPro

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

doomtrpr_z71

The curse of a GoPro

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

The picture thread got me to thinking just how bad of a time I have with a gopro in the boat. I have tried freshwater fishing with frogs to try and capture the strike and that ended with no fish, a broken trolling motor, and the gopro falling in the water. I tried taking it scalloping and ended up with a few scallops when 2 weeks earlier we limited in 30mins, the cooler that contained what few scallops we had found blowing out of the truck, and somehow the stickit pin managed to get lost as well. The final straw was 2 years ago, I got $700 back from L3 communications when they had to buy back my Eotech holosight and decided to go to Islamorada for spring break with my wife. The marine forecast was beautiful and I had just put new springs on my trailer for my Seapro so we took the boat with us, but I had to stop by my office in Tifton and get the Gopro. 10 hours later the boat was in the basin and all seemed well, the next morning we decided to explore Alligator Reef. Image
Looks beautiful, but at lunch we headed back in to eat at Robbies and the wind got horrible and so did the seas, that was the wettest ride in I've ever had in my boat. Turns out the marine forecast had changed completely and other than one trip to indian key that afternoon, my boat sat in the basin.
The wind was so bad that when left and stopped at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park on the way back, they didn't even charge me for my boat because the ranger knew I wasn't going anywhere. After that expensive little trip towing a boat for nothing when we could have driven the car instead, the gopro is forbidden from being in my boat. I have heard of bananas being a bad omen for sailing, but in my case the Gopro is worse. The other couple from Georgia did make me feel better since they had a nice 22ft Nauticstar and they didn't even venture out as much as we did.
Geno67

Re: The curse of a GoPro

Post by Geno67 »

I hate that for you. I haven't tried to video yet with one but will in the future.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

It was still a fun trip, just had to fish in the boat basin. But we enjoyed ourselves and made the best of it, key West was definitely unique, I mean where else can you see a dude wearing nothing but chaps powerwalking.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:It was still a fun trip, just had to fish in the boat basin. But we enjoyed ourselves and made the best of it, key West was definitely unique, I mean where else can you see a dude wearing nothing but chaps powerwalking.
Grew up down there.. Conch Republic residents call it Key Weird. :-D You should have fished at Robbie's. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Juan wrote:
doomtrpr_z71 wrote:It was still a fun trip, just had to fish in the boat basin. But we enjoyed ourselves and made the best of it, key West was definitely unique, I mean where else can you see a dude wearing nothing but chaps powerwalking.
Grew up down there.. Conch Republic residents call it Key Weird. :-D You should have fished at Robbie's. :-D
I really want to go back this year and stay longer, leave the boat at home and just rent a boat for a day or two and go out on the party boat from bud and marys a time or two. Fishing at Robbie's was quite tempting, it was amusing watching people try to lure those tarpon away from the dock. Key weird fits for sure, nowhere else have I seen dudes powerwalking in spandex or a dude riding a bicycle with fairy wings. But it was worth the trip to Key West to eat at the hogfish grill.
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Fish'n those bridges between Bud&Marys and Robbie's is great . Caught some nice mangroves and a 28" black grouper there.
I have a 1 bedroom apartment/ timeshare week in October if your interested .
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Greenbone wrote:Fish'n those bridges between Bud&Marys and Robbie's is great . Caught some nice mangroves and a 28" black grouper there.
I have a 1 bedroom apartment/ timeshare week in October if your interested .
I might be interested, but I don't know for sure, I am tremendously underemployed at the moment and I may be moving to Missouri.