Apalachicola 08-02-2002

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Apalachicola 08-02-2002

Post by Tom Keels »

Met Sawbones in Eastpoint at 6:00 am and we headed to Apalach to put in. Ran out to the O tower to get some livies then proceeded towards S. Ran over some nice bottom and proceeded to load the boat. During the melee, I hung what I would find out to be a huge cobia that pretty much destroyed my 3/0 Penn, and proceeded to wrap around trim tabs, engines, etc before being broken off. On the flatline I hooked an AJ, but pulled the hook. Then later a 20 pound king that we released. We got used by some big fish, and by some smart ones. These fish would not eat frozen bait at all, only live or fresh dead. And you had to be quick because the snapper would get the biat about 6 feet before it hit bottom. It was Sawbones' first grouper and snapper limit and he was mighty happy. Weather was beautiful with 1-2 all day. Ran everywhere at 35 or better.
Sorry I don't have more pics, but with just 2 of us, and a hot bite, there wasn't much time.

Final tally was

1 Red Grouper
8 Gags to 30", 4 over 26"
1 Lane snapper
2 mangroves to 5#
4 Red Snapper to 10 #
1 24" spanish
1 16" rock bass.

Here is the biggest gag, 30".
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Tom.........I am ready for a trip like that when can I cash in on one.....
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Super reports and pictures, here and on the Inshore Reports section.

Congratulations Tom, what a way to spend the weekend. :D