Help!!!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Geno67

Help!!!

Post by Geno67 »

Tried to go to dog ballard yesterday. Forest service turned us away from St. Mark's lighthouse road because of a controlled burn. Ran down the river to the bay and the .3 foot waves called for by nooa and windfinder turned into 4.5-5. Caught a few BSB and hooked a couple of "dang that's big" on St. Mark's reef. Was miserable. Wind is even worse today.

My buddy who I brought down to take fishing is old and was beat up by the ride yesterday.

Back up plan for comfort is crappie. Where do I get bull minnows or any crappie minnows in Tallahassee and what body of water should we try?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Help!!!

Post by Salty Gator »

Lake miccosukee is usually the best crappie lake. Reeves landing used to have minnows. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

For sure the wind predictions can be off. Went to Shell Pt Thursday. Prediction was for 10-15 with gusts to 25. Ok it'll be breezy, but won't go far in the yak. Fished the nearby oyster bar. By the time the incoming was getting the bite going, it had to be ripping a good 25+ with gusts. Put one 18 in the cooler and got out of Dodge. No way to cut back against the seas, kept the bow heading straight into them and surfed back to shore. Ended up a few hundred yards from the public beach, but thankful to get back without a dunking.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I don't even bother in March...I'd rather inhale baitfish carcus odor mixed with rotten seaweed all day than fish in the wind. I usually go once in February just to scratch the itch then go all out as soon as the wind quits in April.
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

Thanks for the help. Went to Miccosukee for a couple of hours. Didn't catch any crappie but caught a couple of massive bream and one smallish bass. I can now say I've caught a Florida bass. It was not very large. There were some big crappie in good numbers being caught but they all seemed to come from one area in the lake and I wasn't going to crowd in together like everyone else was. I just feel rude doing that. That lake is very shallow in places.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Glad it worked out for you. It was howling at the coast today
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

Geno67 wrote:Thanks for the help. Went to Miccosukee for a couple of hours. Didn't catch any crappie but caught a couple of massive bream and one smallish bass. I can now say I've caught a Florida bass. It was not very large. There were some big crappie in good numbers being caught but they all seemed to come from one area in the lake and I wasn't going to crowd in together like everyone else was. I just feel rude doing that. That lake is very shallow in places.
Kudos for giving everyone their room. This is seldom seen these days.
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

Anyone fished around Lake Talquinn? Figured the crappie would be on fire there.
“..Grew up watching Bill Dance and Stone Cold, that’s why I’m always fishing and do nothing I’m told.”