Econfina 08-03-2002

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Econfina 08-03-2002

Post by Tom Keels »

44" to the fork, 48" over all. Weight was indeterminate because we didn't have a decent scale. Somewhere around 30 I would wager.

Caught him on a live pilchard under a Cajun Thunder. Pitched the bait underneath the #1 birdrack at Econfina and he hit it going 90 MPH. Ran through the rack legs so we had to take the boat through the rack, but the line was hung up on one of the pilings. I couldn't tell where it was hung so I put the rod in the rod holder, donned my mask and snorkle and jumped in while the boat parked underneath the rack. Managed to get it undone and got back in the boat. The whole time the fish was headed South. We got out from under the rack and gave chase. Fought the fish for 30 minutes before my paw in law gaffed him. If I look sort of like a tired wet rat in the picture....

If someone would have been filming, we could have won some money, that is after the explicatives were bleeped out.:D

I caught this fish on my 4000 Stradic/7 foot rod with 20# Power Pro. If there was ever a testamonial for Power Pro this was it. Those pilings were encrusted with barnicles and the line held after being wrapped around 2 with the pressure of a ticked off cobia pulling on the the other end. This stuff is tough.

Oh yeah, we got a limit of scallops in 20 minutes.
Last edited by Tom Keels on August 7th, 2002, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

great job you are a die hard fisher man jumpin in and getting the line lose or off the pileings.....don't know if I could go that far or not I guess it depends on the moment for this old man......OH by the way nice fish keep them good stories coming and of course the pictues of the great fish you guys are catchin........
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

Nice Cobe, glad you got 'em from around there, that awesome!

When your spooling w/ Power pro, do you put it on top of regular line, or do you fill up the reel w/ PP?
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Tom,
One helluva fish for one helluva effort. Congrats man, that is awesome. Proof that there are some cobes left at Econfina!! Can I follw you around next Saturday??? Or at least rub up against your boat or something?? :o :lol:

tf
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Tom,
You can really sniff them slobs out lately!!
Good Fish.
Better Story.
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.
TaxRelief

Post by TaxRelief »

Man oh man, what a great looking Cobia...haven't had one on since they cut down the intercoastal marker off of Steinhatchee...I think I'll slip up behind you and Troutfisher...if he quits cooking long enough :P
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

I'm ya huckleberry! You goin' coastal this w/e tax relief? I'll be there. Just give me a shout on 16. I'll be in the water for about 20 minutes if I can find Tom's "honeyhole".

tf
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

If you can't find it you better have your eyes checked. :lol:
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Rogan
Site Sponsor

20 min

Post by Rogan »

I carried a blind man last Sat and he limited in 30 mins. :lol: