Suggestions for getting wired to tow?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Suggestions for getting wired to tow?

Post by GaryDroze »

May dad is gifting me a classic Sears Gamefisher 12ft V-hull and Johnson 6hp motor with only about 50 hours on it. Boat is circa 1975, but true to his military background, Dad kept it inspection-ready. I get the trailer, too, but neither of my current vehicles are wired for towing. Any suggestions on Tallahassee area shops that can do the job well?
eightwt

Re: Suggestions for getting wired to tow?

Post by eightwt »

When we got a different vehicle I negotiated a hitch. The dealer had us go to Capitol Hitch on West Tennessee for installation. Might check with them.
craSSh

Post by craSSh »

I also recommend Capital Hitch
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Depends on the tow vehicle. There are plenty of them that have plug and play trailer wiring that are easy DIY connections. Some are not so easy. I know Chevy, Ford and Toyota have plug and play available through the dealer or aftermarket.
Simply disconnect a tail light harness connector and plug the trailer harness in, secure the adapter and remount the tail lamp.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

If your vehicle is less than ~10yrs old, it should be a simply case of ordering a $40 or so kit and plugging it into a harness somewhere in the rear. Easy peasy.

Just plug your make/model/year in on a site like https://www.etrailer.com/ and they'll show you exactly what you need. I've put hitches and wiring harness on a half dozen of my vehicles over the years for under $200 total when the shops want $1k to do it for you. Takes about an hour to bolt on a hitch, and 30 minutes for a wiring harness.
STMU

Post by STMU »

StMarksAngler wrote:If your vehicle is less than ~10yrs old, it should be a simply case of ordering a $40 or so kit and plugging it into a harness somewhere in the rear. Easy peasy.

Just plug your make/model/year in on a site like https://www.etrailer.com/ and they'll show you exactly what you need. I've put hitches and wiring harness on a half dozen of my vehicles over the years for under $200 total when the shops want $1k to do it for you. Takes about an hour to bolt on a hitch, and 30 minutes for a wiring harness.
I went through etrailer as well for my wife's 2012 Honda CRV and would highly recommend it. I wanted a backup vehicle to tow my jon boat. Super easy, only needed a flat and Philips screwdriver for the harness. Plugged it in the harness in the rear light, and done! 15/20 minutes tops! Hardest part was popping those little plastic push-pin tabs, but even if you break one, they are only a couple of bucks at any auto store. Way cheaper than paying some mechanic. And the last thing you want is to be driving down the road and hear some rattling noise because they broke one and didn't replace it. Hitch took a little longer, but I managed to do it solo with the hitch resting on a 2x8 suspended with a cinderblock and jack. Just jacked one side up, bolted it on and repeated for the other. I'm not the most mechanically inclined either. Anyone can do it, and it is definitely cheaper.