Checked your measuring devise ?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Checked your measuring devise ?

Post by Greenbone »

It’s been some conversation with some of the local Boat Club members since one got stopped and asked to measure his grouper. Member stated here’s my ‘law stick’ but FWC said had to use their own. That got me to thinking about my measuring devise, am I legal? Whoa- have I been releasing legal fish? My metal devise is full ¼ “ longer than Craftsman tape measure and CCA Star tape measure given out every year. Maybe FWC should provide us with uniform measuring devise .
How does yours measure up?
F9654BD8-3EDB-4968-8A7E-35E4D7597EC3.jpeg
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Re: Checked your measuring devise ?

Post by Blue spinner »

thanks i need to go look at my stick
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

If it's that close, let the fish go. I always err on the side of conservation and 1/4 inch isn't worth a ticket or that little extra meat.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I am with Silverking, I checked mine against a carpenter's tape. It was about 1/4" different at 24", about dead on at 15" and about 3/16" different at 27". If I am keeping fish for the table, I usually err about 1/2" on the safe side, it's just not worth the potential hassle.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Depending on fishing conditions and how empty the freezer is, I've been known to keep them when they barely touch the line. I'm going to check my sticks today! Thanks for the post, I never would have thought to verify the measurements. What would be a positively accurate device to use for comparison? Who's to say a Craftsman metal measuring tape or any other measuring device isn't off? :roll:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Is there such a thing as an offshore measuring devise and a different inshore measuring devised ?
Lol , someone posted on different site .
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I use the Check'It Stick. Which is what is used by NFGFC and many tournaments throughout the Southeast, including the Florida Pro Redfish Tour (now Powerpole Redfish Series).

Spend the $30 and either purchase through NFGFC or order online, and prevent any questions you may have.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

I just checked my Frabil extendable bump board and it’s spot on to max measurement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk