Concrete CCA post along the upper Aucilla

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Concrete CCA post along the upper Aucilla

Post by BloodyChamp »

What is/was this and was does/did CCA stand for? Not the organization that raises marine life I don’t think way up here. What’s also neat is the tree rub which looks hoggish but I saw no other signs of hogs and I don’t think he could have gotten his head in between there and the post. Beaver? Deer is a possibility but it doesn’t look like anything a deer did.

I had a fun couple of days stomping around the upper Aucilla, including getting back to a place my old man took me fishing to way back in the day. Didn’t catch any fish but there was some swirling and striking going on. It got dark on me yesterday and I had to walk out in the dark. I found that post today when I went back to pick up trash, because of course the 1 thing you’ll always catch no matter where you go fishing is human trash. Sometimes lots of it. But it’s all cleaned up now and I’m excited about going back serious fishing.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Re: Concrete CCA post along the upper Aucilla

Post by procraftwes »

looks like the markers of large land parcels showing their owners. The only ones i've seen is SJP for St joe paper and you can see them all over leon county.

Not sure who CCA is but i'm betting it's similar.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Yes it’s obviously a marker, I guess the accurate question is what’s CCA. SJPC had them everywhere for a long time. I’ve been hoping to find 1 laying somewhere to keep. I also want 1 of those SRWMD green wooden signs with the notched in words. I would pay for them if they have 1 in storage somewhere!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I'm guessing: Survey marker and the middle letter is actually a "G" standing for Geological....and Beaver
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Not sure why this is in the Fishing section, but Coastal Conservation Association does not raise marine life. It is a non-profit organization that advocates for the conservation of marine life and habitat.

That said, I think Juan's explanation may be on the mark, especially that far inland.

Steve Stinson is a professional surveyor. Hopefully he will add some more clues.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

I was a forester for Container Corp. of America(CCA) back in the early eig8hties in Ohio. The Company had a mill in Ferandina Beach that owned land in Fl. The company was bought by Jefferson Smurfit and has changed hands several more times since then. Could be it.
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Conservation Corp of America.....Lots of work all over the southeast after the depression.....Yep a Beaver.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

FTReelty wrote:Conservation Corp of America.....Lots of work all over the southeast after the depression.....Yep a Beaver.
Think you meant Civilian Conservation Corps. Started by FDR in 1933 for unmarried men to erect public works and provide employment during the Depression. Ended in 1942 when the U.S. entered WWII.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I found this one today in a lake off the Intercoastal near Mexico Beach. Anyone know what "SJ" stands for? I'm guessing Saint Joe?
Attachments
20200128_112805.jpg
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Probably not South Jersey. :lol:
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

St. Joe Paper Company.