Fishing Report - Last few Trips

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishTheBend

Fishing Report - Last few Trips

Post by fishTheBend »

It's been a minute because of work & life but wanted to share some observations from my last few trips over the last couple weeks.

It's been the best trout bite streak of my life. Over the last 3 trips I've landed at least 17 fat trout from 20" - 25" and lost one that was easily over 25". Some of them fought like
reds & honestly had me guessing what they were til I got them up to the surface. Even had some matching size reds chase after the trout while I had them hooked.

I was catching them in <REDACTED LOCATION> with electric chicken jerk baits during both incoming and outgoing tides. Deeper has been better overall.

Reds have been where I've been & I've hooked some, lost some, and wished I hooked some that I saw.

Caught a monster needlefish on the flats that was 30 inches. Huge surprise.

Saw the first shark of the year cruising the flats this past weekend. Another sign that winter fishing is transitioning.

I have to go reload plastics because of fish that tear them up: Spanish, snapper blues, pinfish, smooth pufferfish. I swear the plastic bait manufacturers stock the flats with them...

Happy fishing!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing Report - Last few Trips

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks for the report
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I thought I saw you over in <REDACTED LOCATION> a couple weeks ago. Thanks for keeping things generic :lol: :lol:

A few big sharks definitely showing up; I saw a 5' bull within 50yrds of shore almost a month ago... exciting stuff.

For soft-plastics, try switching to ZMan, their elaZtech plastics are super stretchy and typically withstand the toothy critters.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishTheBend

Post by fishTheBend »

Thanks for the recommendation. That's a healthy size bull. Last summer had a shark that size, looked like a bull, swim underneath the boat about 2.5 mi off shore drifting along a floating grass line. Those experiences are worth the trip.
FishWithChris wrote:I thought I saw you over in <REDACTED LOCATION> a couple weeks ago. Thanks for keeping things generic :lol: :lol:

A few big sharks definitely showing up; I saw a 5' bull within 50yrds of shore almost a month ago... exciting stuff.

For soft-plastics, try switching to ZMan, their elaZtech plastics are super stretchy and typically withstand the toothy critters.
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

fishTheBend wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. That's a healthy size bull. Last summer had a shark that size, looked like a bull, swim underneath the boat about 2.5 mi off shore drifting along a floating grass line. Those experiences are worth the trip.
My buddy had a bull shark attack and take away a large Jack that he had on last week. The Jack came to the surface and the surface blew the F up. Location = the Big Bend.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

FlyrodC wrote:
fishTheBend wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. That's a healthy size bull. Last summer had a shark that size, looked like a bull, swim underneath the boat about 2.5 mi off shore drifting along a floating grass line. Those experiences are worth the trip.
My buddy had a bull shark attack and take away a large Jack that he had on last week. The Jack came to the surface and the surface blew the F up. Location = the Big Bend.
I have yet to find or catch a jack 'round these here parts.
All photos copyright @saverymill
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Srbenda wrote:I have yet to find or catch a jack 'round these here parts.
Twas a Jack Crevalle. Same guy caught a 30 pounder the day before.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

those dump trucks are slowly making their way over here right now. a lot just west of us, some just southeast of us... fun fights, but one and done for me, just like AJs
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image