Outboard Diagnosis

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Outboard Diagnosis

Post by Steve Stinson »

I have seen two inboard / outboard boats burn because the engine compartment wasn't vented properly prior to starting. I didn't want you to be the first one to pull this stunt off with an outboard motor. :-D
Red Beard

Outboard Diagnosis

Post by Red Beard »

Steve Stinson wrote:I have seen two inboard / outboard boats burn because the engine compartment wasn't vented properly prior to starting. I didn't want you to be the first one to pull this stunt off with an outboard motor. :-D
No doubt.. good looking out. I finished firefighting and advanced firefighting school in the Navy. But I the grey ghost is not set to run AFFF or HALON currently. Ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Outboard Diagnosis

Post by DixieReb »

I was just looking at your repair of the fuel line and also noticed no clamps on 2 of the connections. I'm glad Steve noticed it first! :wink:
Yours in the South
Red Beard

Outboard Diagnosis

Post by Red Beard »

DixieReb wrote:I was just looking at your repair of the fuel line and also noticed no clamps on 2 of the connections. I'm glad Steve noticed it first! :wink:
Clamps got put on this morning.

Outboard runs fine on the top end but now she doesn’t like to idle. After reading old forum post on sea foam, I decided to give it a treatment. Followed everyone’s steps, bypassed the filter and tank and just put the hose in an external tank with a healthy heavy handed dose. Ran until it warmed up, let it soak, run more, let soak, and repeat until the treated fuel was gone.

It had to help because I got up to 40 mph today in wind and chop. (18ft skiff 60HP outboard) And previously I was maxing out at around 32 mph.

But still has a rough idle, and doesn’t want to fire up like it was doing before all this. Use to bump the key and engage. Now she’s cranky and whiney.
Time to learn even more...

On a positive note, next week some time I’m dropping the grey ghost at St.Marks Pro to get my wiring, switch panel, and lights installed. Can’t wait, about tired of messing with a batteries every time I want something on. Ready to flip a switch..

Sent from grey ghost command center using handheld technology