Franklin County Reconsidering the Closure of Boat Ramps?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

Franklin County Reconsidering the Closure of Boat Ramps?

Post by John21:6 »

It looks like the Franklin County Commission might reconsider the closure of its boat ramps at its Special Meeting scheduled for 9:00 a.m. April 30, 2020. See the meeting announcement here for more details: https://www.franklincountyflorida.com/2 ... ch-access/.
akasephiroth

Re: Franklin County Reconsidering the Closure of Boat Ramps?

Post by akasephiroth »

I've seen several people calling for boycotting Franklin county for both there treat of arrest and closing boat ramps to the outside community. At the same time I seen a report done with business owners on St. George island who have said they planned on the lack of traffic every year but the additional ban for the last month has really hurt.

It's a major trickle effect, the beach rentals are not happening so no one's planning trips, the charter Fisherman misses out cause the renters not coming down, the bait store is not selling tackle cause the charter guy has no business. Remember this is bad but it was made worse by the commissioners in your county if I was a business owner in Franklin county I would remember this come election time.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

akasephiroth wrote:I've seen several people calling for boycotting Franklin county for both there treat of arrest and closing boat ramps to the outside community. At the same time I seen a report done with business owners on St. George island who have said they planned on the lack of traffic every year but the additional ban for the last month has really hurt.

It's a major trickle effect, the beach rentals are not happening so no one's planning trips, the charter Fisherman misses out cause the renters not coming down, the bait store is not selling tackle cause the charter guy has no business. Remember this is bad but it was made worse by the commissioners in your county if I was a business owner in Franklin county I would remember this come election time.
I'm here at my place in Franklin Co. and when I picked up dinner last night, the conversation there was about how bad these shut downs were affecting all businesses. The gestapo sheriff may be endearing himself to the folks who are scared, but not to the business people and rental folks. Way too heavy handed. Even though I could bring everything with me when I come and not set foot in a local business, I won't be punishing these businesses who have been impacted both by the virus outbreak and this sheriff!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
akasephiroth

Post by akasephiroth »

Mudducker I agree 100% the Franklin county sheriff's office has been overreaching there power to say the least and it's unfortunately going to affect business in Franklin county that are already struggling as it is. Coastal businesses have to make there living 8-9 month out the year and this year that's gonna be cut to 5-6 months.

Another downfall is the way he and the commissioners came off on the whole issue, buddy and I was talking and he is pulling his boat from carrabelle as soon as this is over not because of the business but because he feels the elected officials in the area are on a power trip, how many more feel the same? I know once it's all said and done I'm going to make a trip to my good friends at Fisherman choice in eastpoint and stock up to hit the water harder then ever.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Being a Franklin County homeowner from Ga. I have also been feeling forgotten as well. Like Mudducker stated several times, is all this really legal. Well, here's my take on the whole Sheriff thing. He has said a lot and said it in a not too nice of a tone. Do you know anybody who has been ticketed or turned around at the county line? There was the senator but that was pretty dumb of him to try to slide in there anyway. I know for a fact that Ga folks are down there, in their houses, using the boat ramps, and fishing. However, there have been thousands more that didn't dare go because of the aggressive nature of the sheriff. So he did pisss a lot of people off but in the process kept a lot from coming down. When I was reading about the meeting next Thursday I also looked back at what was passed at the prior meeting when everything was closed. It said the ramps were closed to everyone except Franklin county residents and home owners. In my eyes it was never closed to out of state home owners. I'm really curious what will happen at the meeting Thursday. The strict rules have kept the virus to a minimum but now is really starting to take a toll on the area from a money stand point. I'm looking for houses to open for renting, beaches in front of those houses to open, but not the public beaches. It wouldn't surprise me to see the ramps open also. But who knows, the national guard from Kent State may be there. salute3
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Dub

Post by Dub »

I personally would like to see the law enforcement hang around the ramps in the Carrabelle River, I am a Florida resident and a Carrabelle homeowner. Nothing worse than having my boat tied up to the dock and have some disrespectful boater not understanding what a “no wake” zone is.
Probably just coincidence but most of the time it is an out of state vessel with every member of their family on board and completely clueless. And when “reminded” of the no wake zone, most become anywhere from downright rude to belligerent. There are exceptions that seem to be apologetic, usually the wife of the captain.
We pay through the nose for upkeep of our docks, waterfrontages and boats, just seems that a little respect for other people and the environment is second nature to most of us. Please be respectful and enjoy our beautiful area .