Windy Sunday 4-26

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

Windy Sunday 4-26

Post by Srbenda »

I thought I'd create an actual inshore fishing report instead of updating the flats reports thread:

Fished Sunday from around 1030 to 500pm, all on the west flats. Water temps were 74 to 75, with a varied wind from the west northwest. It started cloud, but was a beautiful sunny day by noon. We fished in 3' to 5' most of the day, working gulp and shrimp under corks, as well as throwing some paddletails. The corks worked well, bringing up plenty of short trout, catfish and two small sharks. This FishBites lure worked pretty well bounced along the bottom. It got inhaled several times, and finally wore out, I'll need to replenish my supply.

As high tide approached, we headed north to Paddy's Island and worked the oyster bar and some of the shoreline with no success. The wind also made navigating somewhat difficult, as the trolling motor struggled to move the boat against some of the gusts. I'm still struggling with any sort of capability to locate and catch redfish, despite some of these efforts around oyster bars and shorelines.

We threw back lots of shorts, and a 21" trout, but kept 3 for the box and dinner.

All photos copyright @saverymill
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Windy Sunday 4-26

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Good day none the less, I too have the redfish struggles, my boat drafts too deep and it catches the wind bad so its difficult to sneak up on them.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Nicely done! Trout must be biting good now, I'll be glad when I can go again.
Yours in the South
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Nice catch and under conditions way too windy for me. :thumbup:
Where did you find the FishBites lures shaped like shrimp? All the ones I've seen look like little strips of leather.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

I don't think I've ever caught a redfish out of St. Marks. Caught lots of them out of Carrabelle, Flamingo, and North Carolina. I don't have a trolling motor and don't try the shoreline but they are elusive to me.
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Juan wrote:Nice catch and under conditions way too windy for me. :thumbup:
Where did you find the FishBites lures shaped like shrimp? All the ones I've seen look like little strips of leather.
Got them from the fishing seminar put on by Mike McNamara and Pat McGriff. They're on the Fishbites website for order.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Srbenda wrote:
Juan wrote:Nice catch and under conditions way too windy for me. :thumbup:
Got them from the fishing seminar put on by Mike McNamara and Pat McGriff. They're on the Fishbites website for order.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Found em. Thanks. I didn't know they existed until now.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/