Dog Island / Lanark

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SouthernPointe

Dog Island / Lanark

Post by SouthernPointe »

Fished over the Saturday and Sunday. Couldn’t have asked for better weather. Seas were calm. Water had a slight stain and temps ranged 74-79.

Worked shallow areas with Aqua Dream pink/gold spoons and Spinnerbaits. Intent was to find the red fish. Fish seem to only bite on incoming tide both days.

Saturday I caught 3 reds, all between 20-22”. Sight casted to a couple. All released.

Sunday I got up early and left the family at the hotel. I caught some bluefish and mackerel on topwater early on. It was nearing lunchtime and the kids wanted to be be on the water, so I decided to try the same spot I caught those three reds the day before. I ended up hauling in a beautiful 26 1/2” red in two foot of water (my PR). It was really neat watching his companions fight over the bait. Image

It was then time to head in to get the family for a day in the sun. Before leaving, I informed my brother-in-law that had drove down from Two Egg of where I caught the reds. He and his friend ended up catching four more on spinner baits in the 20-24” range. They also caught a single limit of trout and a flounder. I think it was worth their drive down.
All in all it was a great weekend to be on the water and fish.

Y’all stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Srbenda

Re: Dog Island / Lanark

Post by Srbenda »

Good day! I do like those Skeeter boats too...
All photos copyright @saverymill
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Where did you splash the boat?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

That’s a nice couple of days, thanks for the report. Where were you able to launch? Since you mentioned a hotel, I’m assuming you aren’t a county resident. Were you able to slip through or do you know about the private ramp?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
SouthernPointe

Dog Island / Lanark

Post by SouthernPointe »

The Moorings has a private ramp for a $10 fee. Parking could be an issue. I did not see any boat ramp police. My brother-in-law may or may not have launched at a public boat ramp well before the roosters crow.

Saturday had a lot of boat traffic, both fishing and boating. Dog Island was crowded but folks did put distance between each other. I also saw rental pontoons multiple times. I did not see the SO or FWC, however I was not near the typical beaching areas.

At the end of the day, the local businesses want your business. They need the business.

My father owned his own business (countertops) for 30 years, I do real estate on the side, I also know a couple business owners in Franklin County. Please don’t punish them over the ignorance of a few.

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

SouthernPointe wrote:The Moorings has a private ramp for a $10 fee. Parking could be an issue. I did not see any boat ramp police. My brother-in-law may or may not have launched at a public boat ramp well before the roosters crow.

Saturday had a lot of boat traffic, both fishing and boating. Dog Island was crowded but folks did put distance between each other. I also saw rental pontoons multiple times. I did not see the SO or FWC, however I was not near the typical beaching areas.

At the end of the day, the local businesses want your business. They need the business.

My father owned his own business (countertops) for 30 years, I do real estate on the side, I also know a couple business owners in Franklin County. Please don’t punish them over the ignorance of a few.

That’s good to know. Lanark is a private ramp also but the sheriff made them close down.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Those business owners need to get in the ear of the sheriff. I know how it works In counties like Franklin. I grew up in a tiny town in Alabama and my good buddies dad was a 2nd generation judge. Why the sheriff is listening to the Karen’s and not the business owners should be looked at.
SouthernPointe

Post by SouthernPointe »

Salty Gator wrote:Those business owners need to get in the ear of the sheriff. I know how it works In counties like Franklin. I grew up in a tiny town in Alabama and my good buddies dad was a 2nd generation judge. Why the sheriff is listening to the Karen’s and not the business owners should be looked at.
I agree but they also need to get into the ears of the commissioners. They are the ones making the policies and are voting on them, the sheriff can only enforce them.

Folks need to show up to the public meetings and call them daily to voice their concerns.

A lawsuit would also get their attention.

FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Nice work on those redfish! The spoon bite has been absolutely HOT this spring/early summer. I keep one tied on (either white or chartreuse, but have a soft spot for the pink) and ready to throw at the first site of a boil. There is something magical about that slow and consistent retrieve and then just getting FREIGHT TRAINED by a redfish.. man, I'm amped up now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
SouthernPointe

Dog Island / Lanark

Post by SouthernPointe »

FishWithChris wrote:Nice work on those redfish! The spoon bite has been absolutely HOT this spring/early summer. I keep one tied on (either white or chartreuse, but have a soft spot for the pink) and ready to throw at the first site of a boil. There is something magical about that slow and consistent retrieve and then just getting FREIGHT TRAINED by a redfish.. man, I'm amped up now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The pink was my last Aqua Dream spoon I had. The wife had a gold one come off last week and I had two (gold and pink) cut Saturday morning by a blue or mackerel.

I got home and ordered 6 more in various colors. They have a 20% off sale going online.

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

SouthernPointe wrote:
FishWithChris wrote:Nice work on those redfish! The spoon bite has been absolutely HOT this spring/early summer. I keep one tied on (either white or chartreuse, but have a soft spot for the pink) and ready to throw at the first site of a boil. There is something magical about that slow and consistent retrieve and then just getting FREIGHT TRAINED by a redfish.. man, I'm amped up now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The pink was my last Aqua Dream spoon I had. The wife had a gold one come off last week and I had two (gold and pink) cut Saturday morning by a blue or mackerel.

I got home and ordered 6 more in various colors. They have a 20% off sale going online.

Agree 100% w Chris. Some of by buddies hate fishing w a spoon. But other than a tw bite, a spoon is my absolute favorite bite. A gold spoon is my #1 redfish search lure. I like Johnson spoons, but pretty much switched to Adl about 5 yrs ago. Thank god they got that hook issue worked out.

Those reds are beautiful. I dont fish that area as much anymore, and our reds are usually a lot darker. Some of those dog island fish can be almost silver. Congrats again
Red Beard

Dog Island / Lanark

Post by Red Beard »

Great Report! Thank you for sharing.

AquaDreams make a great spoon. I do trim the weed guards down more flush to the hook. Just like you would on a freshwater bass jig. Helps with that hook up ratio and still keeps the lure weed-less.

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the report. Chartreuse and watermelon ADL spoons are also very effective in that clear water. Capt. Mike makes a great product. You can buy them locally at Kevin's in Tallahassee, Shields Marina Ship's Store and other spots.

I modify mine by adding a stainless ball bearing swivel (35-pound test) to the original split ring. Helps reduce line twist. Since the swivel adds movement, I then use an improved Clinch Knot to tie to the leader.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
SouthernPointe

Post by SouthernPointe »

silverking wrote:Thanks for the report. Chartreuse and watermelon ADL spoons are also very effective in that clear water. Capt. Mike makes a great product. You can buy them locally at Kevin's in Tallahassee, Shields Marina Ship's Store and other spots.

I modify mine by adding a stainless ball bearing swivel (35-pound test) to the original split ring. Helps reduce line twist. Since the swivel adds movement, I then use an improved Clinch Knot to tie to the leader.
I’ll have to try the ADL spoons and also add the swivels. Thanks for the tips. I have never been a big fan of spoons but figured I’d try something new especially after my wife hooked up on a red last week with a spoon.

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

FYI, ADL is Aqua Dream Living, the full name of the company. I have known the owner, Capt. Mike Hakala, since he first started. Great guy! The original were the Capt. Mike's spoons, but they are listed as classic version, I believe, now on the web site. Foil stickers and eyes instead of the hammered willow blades.

I use the 3/8-ounce for the most part but do scale down to the 1/4-ounce in the winter for a smaller, quieter presentation with spookier fish.

Both styles were my Go-to redfish lures when I was guiding.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat