Stuck shotgun choke

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tailwaters

Stuck shotgun choke

Post by tailwaters »

As the title states, I have a choke that is stuck in one of my shotguns. I was think about soaking it in some type of oil for a few days before tying to get it loose again. What do you guys think would be the best type of oil to use. Didn't know if something like Liquid Wrench would mess up the bluing on the gun or not.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Stuck shotgun choke

Post by Salty Gator »

I’d stats w break free. It’s a cleaner/ lubricator. Blast it and let it sit for a while
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Dp
pastorterry

Post by pastorterry »

I had one once that I could not make any kind of oil or break free spray work! I will say that there is a product out now called 'Knock-er-Lose' that is pretty good. But in my case I had to heat it to get it out. It did not harm the function but it did scorch the camo 'paint'. But the gun and even the choke I removed worked fine.
5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, Psalms146:5-6 (NKJV)
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Take it to a gunsmith
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

The best oil I have ever used to break a shotgun choke free was Kroil. Let it sit for a while. Sometimes days, but this has been effective.

Another way that proved effective before was to put the barrel in the freezer and then after it has gotten cold, use slight heat to heat up just the muzzle end of the barrel. I believe I used a somewhat warm washcloth to do it last time, but it has been years. I also had to put vice grips on the choke tube wrench to give me more leverage. I would use this as a last resort, after trying some sort of oil to break loose the rust, just in case you screw up the barrel/choke.

Danibeth
Big Tim

Post by Big Tim »

All these are good ideas but be careful. If you foul the threads or bend the barrel you may ruin the barrel. Then you will either have to buy a new barrel or have it machined by someone who knows what they are doing. By that I mean the manufacturer specs the barrel and choke for certain gas pressures and a bad machine job could have the end looking like Elmer Fudd on a bad day. If it does not free up with minimum torque applied a gunsmith is not a bad idea.
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Thanks for the advise guys. Ended up putting some WD40 (what I already had) in a tomato paste can and soaked the barrel in it for a couple of day. Then heated the barrel and it came out without much of an issue.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

How long did it take to fill a tomato paste can w wd 40?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Just for the future.

Clenzoil Hinge Pin Jelly.

Every time you change your choke tube. If you don't often change them, at the last cleaning of the season, remove your choke and put some on.
Will never stick again. Even works great on muzzle loader shotguns which are terrible for fouling. It is cheap too.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?