Fishing this weekend Nov 21 -22 near St marks

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ropeman

Fishing this weekend Nov 21 -22 near St marks

Post by ropeman »

I need some expert advise about fishing this weekend (Nov 21 - 22). I have struck out for the past several months only to hear that others have been successful in other areas. I have spent the last few trips in the East river near the lighthouse thinking the colder water would hold fish there only to hear that a fried caught several in 6 to 7' of water near the eastern rocky areas. What do the gurus of inshore think about this weekend. I know the tide will be low around noontime but the activity looks good.
mpa_72001

Re: Fishing this weekend Nov 21 -22 near St marks

Post by mpa_72001 »

dont think its really got cold enough to push them in the rivers yet until we get some good cold days with it below freezing just my opinion
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I’m chasing other quarries this weekend. If I were inshore fishing out of st marks I would run to redfish point and head north to the shore. Any of the rocks at creek mouths or even a couple miles deep in the creeks will hold fish.

Just my .02. Do as your heart desires...
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I would start in about 3' of water on the flats in front of the lighthouse and work my way to the mouth of the river. This is based on today and if we get a cold front they'll move up.

IMO other than where the east river meets the st marks I wouldn't fish there right now. There's going to be redfish all over the place from halfway up the river to the flats but the "action" or hotspot is near the mouth right now. Trout are still on the grassflats as of yesterday.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Thanks for the info! We caught 4 keeper trout Saturday, one on the first cast before low tide and 3 more as the tide was running in. I explored some areas new to me from Big Pass to Johns Island. I will be back in that area soon to explore more.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

SHOWBOAT wrote: November 20th, 2020, 10:36 pm I would run to redfish point and head north to the shore.
I haven't found redfish point on the chart yet. Are there any other landmarks you can give to help my search?
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

Its basically due north of Cobb Rock. Guess 7 miles east of the lighthouse. It shows up on google maps as Big Redfish Point.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Rainman wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 4:05 pm Its basically due north of Cobb Rock.
Found it! Strange that Navionics and the Coast Survey chart don't have it labeled. I'll try that area next time, I've heard other reports of fish near there.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

IF you run 7 miles East of the lighthouse and "go North" you better have the right boat and/or good insurance. It's just one big minefield of rocks mixed in the grass. Welded aluminum tunnel hull, jet foot, local knowledge, clear water, bright sun, mid to high tide, all good ideas in that area.

But hey.....I see people in bay boats run around in there all the time so maybe they know where all the rocks are. ;-)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Or you could wade the area on a blown out low tide...but that trip starts with a 45 minute mountain bike ride (one-way) on levees/FL Hiking Trail.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

GaryDroze wrote: November 24th, 2020, 11:30 am Or you could wade the area on a blown out low tide...but that trip starts with a 45 minute mountain bike ride (one-way) on levees/FL Hiking Trail.
The tide was pretty blown out Saturday morning. I put in at the lighthouse at 11:30 and in another 15 minutes the boat wouldn't have come off the trailer! I did find out how shallow my boat will float. We were drifting in the wind and got into 8" of water. It takes 9" of water to float my boat :)
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Took me way too long to figure out that the tide charts are just a starting point, and that the wind is a huge factor, especially for paddlers and waders. Hope you at least had a memorable day.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

rockyg wrote: November 24th, 2020, 11:20 am IF you run 7 miles East of the lighthouse and "go North" you better have the right boat and/or good insurance. ;-)
Yeah, I've been around that area and always fear going towards shore. I marked a rock on the GPS several years ago while scalloping, but there are hundreds more and I heard they migrate around! :lol:

This Saturday looks like another good day to be out there. High tide at 2 and low wind.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I go out of Aucilla and head towards the west a lot. I see multitudes of rocks. I take my little 14' john with the 2 stroke 15hp to fish there.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc