Econfina River questions and thoughts

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Econfina River questions and thoughts

Post by BloodyChamp »

Does anybody here know of “the old swimmin hole” on the Econfina in Shady Grove? I can’t find anything on this anywhere accept for 1 mention on FB. I have a message in to that person but for all I know that message is in limbo for eternity.

I know it’s somewhere there because I was there often in my early teens with my friend from Shady Grove, but only then as the Econfina was just outside of my stomping grounds unless he invited me over. Obviously it wouldn’t be hard to find but I thought I would try and get a jump on it.

We fished all up and down that part of the river but we were not the great fishermen we thought we were just yet. We’d catch bream and catfish. We’d see bass but they were like their blackwater neighbors on the Aucilla - not dumb.
ropeman

Re: Econfina River questions and thoughts

Post by ropeman »

I don't know anything about the area, but it looks interesting from the maps. I wonder how long it would take to paddle from the bridge on 19 to the bridge on 98?
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

I can paddle about 3-4 mph in open water, so with a decent flow it would be paddled in 4-5 hrs if you never stopped. However, deadfall changes everything. If I were to paddle it, I would allot 12 hrs of paddle time.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’m obviously not the expert on the river but at the bridge alone it appears that it’s St Marksish. Really just a swamp until it finally opens up for good for a shorter distance than what was swamp from the beginning. There probably some hidden gem spots sprinkled here and there though, like the swimming hole. I think I read that there’s also a natural bridge somewhere but that might have been that other Econfina River. But what the heck we might still have to try it!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I ran all around Shady Grove today looking for it. A few things jogged my memory but I found nothing out for sure. I found 1 place that looked like a primitive landing but turned around at a mud hole. Had it not been raining I would have walked on through because I was close. There were a few primitive landings there when I was a youngun I’m positive. I don’t remember launching at the hole myself but I’m pretty sure it was one. We simply launched at the closest one to the house because they were all pretty close together. There was also the railroad tracks. I have some tires for my boat now so I could ease right down there if nothing else.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I went to it years ago in shady grove but couldn't tell you how to find it now to save my life.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Found it on the satellite view of Google Maps, and the primitive landings. The mud hole road was the road that went to them. The Swimmin Hole is up from them and down from the 3rd bridge. Can’t wait to go fishing there again.