New hooks.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Cranfield
Site Sponsor

New hooks.

Post by Cranfield »

Do you sharpen new hooks ?

I recently bought some Mustad 5/0, 6/0 and 8/0 hooks and was suprised at how blunt they felt.

For most of my sea fishing I use 2/0 and 3/0 Kamasan hooks in the Aberdeen style, that have been chemically sharpened.

The larger hook sizes are for use with fish baits and therefore are a not a "fine wire" hook, like the Kamasan.
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Ahah, the old "thumb nail" test.
I cannot bring myself to do that deliberately.
It really sets my teeth "on edge". :(

I just drag the point down the skin on my thumb and see if it catches.

On hooks I re-use, like on lures and flies, I expect to sharpen, but not large bait hooks.
My little fly stone is almost worn away putting an edge on one of the 8/0s. :)
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

I to check the hooks with my thumb don't like the thumb nail trick....I use mainly Gamakatsu hooks now but I still use a few other brands Owner being one of them ........I use an off band 10/0 hook for deeper water heavy hook for bigger baits thoes hooks really get the sharping stone...........I use alot of jigs for inshore fishing I can't rember what brand they are but i hit them with the stone as well........if you don't the jacks will steal the plastic off the jig everytime let alone the catfish......
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I keep a hook sharpener with a built in magnifying glass on it in my bag. I usually have to give mustads and eagle claws one or two hits on it, then I check it with the glass and look for burs or bends in the point. The worst hooks ever are the ones on Ny-lure jigs. They get chromed over and I have to hit them with a grinding wheel.

Gamakatsu's never need sharpening out of the package. Their treble hooks are almost too sharp. I replace my plug hooks with them and I find I can't even pick one up with my hands, I have to use pliers.
Tom Keels
Site Founder