Pompano

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

sundown
Site Sponsor

Pompano

Post by sundown »

Don't post much anymore as I don't fish much anymore either. Health and age has just about shut me down me but thought I'd pass this on for general information .
Went to St George last week and met an old business associate and his family who were down for the week. I didn't fish but they did nearly day.
His grandson almost exclusively flyfishes. They worked the east end down by park and got into the trout and mackerel plus pompano.
They both caught pomp's. Grandson was working a chartruse/white closer. Don't know the size but he said he could have used a larger hook size. He doesn't tie so had bought his flys somewhere. Said the mackerel cut them up pretty good plus had several cutoffs. Don't
Know what he was using for tippet or leader.
My grandson and I may run down next week and let him try to catch one on a fly.
Would like to see some of the old posters from years back on here.
eightwt

Re: Pompano

Post by eightwt »

Have caught one pomp on fly each of the last two weekends, one keeper and one not quite at SGI. Both on clousers, one electric chicken and one on Lighthouse Special, both tied on #4 hooks. Lots of Lady's and spanish around plus others. Of course have had a number of ? fish that broke me off. Never know what you may get into over there. Great place to toss feathers. Good luck to you
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

What does lighthouse special closer recipe consist of ?
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

I caught a 2' Pompano on a bar in Shell Point this year on a White McKittrick Jawbreaker. It's pretty easy to tie flies that are similar to it. Check out Cohen fly tails for a curled, durable tail that provides nice action. The tails on the Jawbreaker are fragile.

On another note, I tore it up at the end of my season in April on the fly linked below. I had picked up one of them, pulled it out after a slow day and got a taped 26" Trout. Strong fish. Plus more 20"+ trout.

Since then, I ordered some of the flies from the guy who developed them. He's in Texas now but used to live up here in Montana. Good dude. Takes the guy about 2-3 weeks to fill an order but the flies are incredibly durable and the diving action followed by a slow return to surface looks dynamite in the water. I was fishing them with an intermediate sink tip line.

Anyway, hope you all are staying cool, we are ready to do a rain dance it's so dry in Montana this spring.

https://dirtywaterflyco.com/collections ... ic-chicken
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Congrats on the state, and perhaps world record pompano! I hope you registered it. Pretty cool that pompano are still around this late in the season. Guess we can attribute that to the longer than average cooler temps. Hopefully they will stick around for a few more weeks so I can capture one.
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Fish Masterson wrote: June 10th, 2021, 12:04 am Congrats on the state, and perhaps world record pompano! I hope you registered it. Pretty cool that pompano are still around this late in the season. Guess we can attribute that to the longer than average cooler temps. Hopefully they will stick around for a few more weeks so I can capture one.
That's funny, I had no idea that it was a "piggy" Pompano and that the state record is 8.4#. I'll bet it weighed 4-5 pounds anyhow. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I thought it was a Jack and released it. I couldn't figure out why it didn't have a spot until a buddy who I texted the picture to responded, awesome Pomp. Yeah, I'm a newbie to flyfishing the Gulf but am slowly but surely, learning.

I'll figure out how to post pics and will put it up here. I carry a measure net and the thing was standing up in it. No record but a very good fish.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

The Lighthouse Special Clouser, attributed to Terrier who posts here, is olive over chartreuse, over white, with some gold flash.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

I'll mix some pearl, copper and UV pearl in with the gold - just a few strands of each. Fish may not care but I like a pearl and gold/copper combo for over the grass beds.

Fished SGI this week end - got a nice whiting in the surf and lost a bluefish (cut off as I was about to land it, and got a just short flounder (13.5) on the other side. Got some big ladyfish as well, along with a topsail catfish. No trout or reds.
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

FlyrodC wrote: June 15th, 2021, 7:56 am
Fish Masterson wrote: June 10th, 2021, 12:04 am Congrats on the state, and perhaps world record pompano! I hope you registered it. Pretty cool that pompano are still around this late in the season. Guess we can attribute that to the longer than average cooler temps. Hopefully they will stick around for a few more weeks so I can capture one.
That's funny, I had no idea that it was a "piggy" Pompano and that the state record is 8.4#. I'll bet it weighed 4-5 pounds anyhow. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I thought it was a Jack and released it. I couldn't figure out why it didn't have a spot until a buddy who I texted the picture to responded, awesome Pomp. Yeah, I'm a newbie to flyfishing the Gulf but am slowly but surely, learning.

I'll figure out how to post pics and will put it up here. I carry a measure net and the thing was standing up in it. No record but a very good fish.

Lol, i caught one in St Joe bay that would have been all over 2 feet or better. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure it was a permit. Whatever it was, it ate well, and I'm pretty sure it was to big to be a pompano. There are no fences out in the ocean, so who knows. It definitely wasn't a jack..
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished