Slamming the fish

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

nitrofish

Slamming the fish

Post by nitrofish »

Been fishing St.Marks and doing well.Lots ofd trout,a few reds and out at the rocks sea bass sharks and a couple lost cobia;one at 40#.Yee-Haw.
My regular area is the St.George area.After living there for awhile(my wife was a ranger in the state park) I know the bay pretty darn good.She transferd to Wakulla Springs and we live in Havana so St.Marks is a little closer.But if you need any info on the Appalachee bay I'm your man.
Well Tight Lines and Singing Drags for Everyone.
NITROFISH
"Let The Big Fish Eat"
d-tox
Site Sponsor

Fishing the St. George Waters

Post by d-tox »

My father-in-law will be on St. George for a month and I will be joining him when I can. We usually fish the east hole and sometimes the Cut. Do you have some suggestions for other inshore areas? He has a bay boat that is rough in more than 2 foot seas.

I will be bring my Glacier Bay over from Ochlocknee Bay later in the month and will try to fish the various reefs outside. Any suggestions in these waters will also be appreciated.
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

:lick: Nice work Nitro, I've been working hard for trout and reds in Ochlocknee Bay.
nitrofish

St. George trip

Post by nitrofish »

My most worked end is from the State Park east. lots of grass flats and some trofts.Also some deep holes the hold alittle bite of everything. Ifish out of a home made (by me) 14 ft. flats boat so yours will be fine. Start at the oyster bars around the boat ramp,esp if the water is moving. If no reds or trout pick up some pin fish for the larger fish. Then head out and around the bend east .You will see some bars far to your left around the other ramp and you can also see goose island the is also pelican island more n.west on the other side is a 32 ft hole if you want i will give you the gps #s anyway go E. till you esss one of the poark pavilions the bank slightly comes to a point start in around 3-4 ft of water and work all the grass patches all the way until you cant see the grass any morwe.Drift a fair size pin behind the boat under i cork cobia shark and yes tarpon can make things interesting. the just work E. you will see a small Island its called "Marsch Island lost of grasss on outside.Dont get too close unless theres enough water its shallow. Tarpon can be caught all through here and lots of trout and reds. fishingjohn
NITROFISH
"Let The Big Fish Eat"
Backlash
Site Sponsor

Post by Backlash »

Nitrofish:

It's refreshing to see someone actually share detailed info. I hope I don't wear you out with questions, but we are going to St. George for a week later this month. I have only fished the area 1 time before (last month). Caught some short trout around the grass-beds by Sikes cut, but that was it. Tried West Pass for shark and tarpon, but only caught a couple of baby sharks.

We'll be there the week of 9/16. I'm bringing my bay boat and would really appreciate any help. We enjoy fishing for trout and reds. The "hole" you mention, is that the 30' hole? I have a map of the area, but if you could share the GPS #'s it would save me a lot of time looking for it.

Where would you recommend trying for Bull reds and what baits/techniques would you use?

What would you recommend for trout (jigs/plastics/topwaters) or live bait?

Would any Tarpon still be in the area later this month and if so, where would the best place be to try?

Any tripletail still hanging around?

Where is a good place to buy live bait in the area?

How far up the Apalchicola river would you have to go to have some luck with bass (shiners under a bobber)? Wives are going too, so we thought they might enjoy that also.

We'll probably launch in Apalchicola and fan out from there. Are the ramps on the island OK to launch a 23' foot bayboat, or should we just dump-in on the mainland?

Again, I apologize for all the questions, but it's a big place and can be overwhelming if you don't have a "plan".

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Tom (Backlash) Pate
Montgomery, Al.
Gone Fishin....