Lighthouse ramp

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

doomtrpr_z71

Re: Lighthouse ramp

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

squiffynole wrote:
doomtrpr_z71 wrote: December 18th, 2021, 9:44 am Just watch the curb at the end of the ramp

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I thumped that thing with my skeg a few weeks ago - what function does it serve?
It provides good entertainment for those waiting for the tide to come in and watching people try to launch

Otherwise I assumed it was just to keep you from dropping off the end of the ramp and getting stuck.

rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I'll bet there is still a drop-off at the end of the Lighthouse ramp too. I watched a guy wade in there a few years ago and he said it dropped off pretty good.

Ken, I completely agree..... if you get a chance to fish with your son, anytime, anywhere, you take it. :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
bbb

Lighthouse ramp

Post by bbb »

The curb at the end of the ramp is the least of your worries. I launched there last December and there was a 10’ alligator laying on the ramp about 3’ under the water.

I assume it was too cold for them feed on kayakers feet, but it would have made you doo doo your britches if you stepped on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by bbb on December 22nd, 2021, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

bbb wrote:The curb at the end of the ramp is the least of your worries. I launched there last December and there was a 10’ alligator laying on the ramp about 3’ under the water.

I assume it was too cold for them feed on kayakers feet, but it would have made you doo doo your britches if you stepped on him.

Wow, dang have to watch out for that, I had my son with his boots on holding the boat not to scrap the bottom of the boat on the oysters or the ramp

Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Young man really needs some Panacea nikes, something he can slip off in a hurry. :thumbup: :thumbup:
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Wasn't a soul in sight at the ramp this morning ImageImage

Last edited by doomtrpr_z71 on December 23rd, 2021, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

, I can see why , water is gone and the end of channel is high and dry

slow motion

Post by slow motion »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 3:54 pm Wasn't a soul in sight at the ramp this morning ImageImage

Dang that is low. Did you wait it out or launch somewhere else?
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

slow motion wrote:
doomtrpr_z71 wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 3:54 pm Wasn't a soul in sight at the ramp this morning ImageImage

No we tried to beat low tide and failed miserably so we launched at the fort instead.

slow motion

Post by slow motion »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote: December 24th, 2021, 5:00 pm
slow motion wrote:

No we tried to beat low tide and failed miserably so we launched at the fort instead.

Have any luck?
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

slow motion wrote:
doomtrpr_z71 wrote: December 24th, 2021, 5:00 pm
slow motion wrote:

Have any luck?
None, first time we were skunked on the flats in 10 years, we found nothing in the creek mouths, the flats, the east river, the long bar, or the stmarks river. Beautiful day nonetheless

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Possibly about the same time you took this pic, I started a hike on one of the St Marks Refuge levees with some of my former high school runners. Fishing the creeks east of the lighthouse on foot, we lucked into multiple schools of upper slot trout, and a few slot reds. Caught over two dozen trout by 11am (near end of low tide). Released most of them, including five over 21 inches and my personal best 28.5 inches, which was thankfully barely lip hooked on a barb-cramped hook. They were feeding in creek holes and troughs; we did not try any creek mouths. They seem to be "all or none" in the creeks, with some empty and others chock full.
5b0cad7f-d67a-4c85-83e0-a47c0ff60abd (1).png
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

GaryDroze wrote:Possibly about the same time you took this pic, I started a hike on one of the St Marks Refuge levees with some of my former high school runners. Fishing the creeks east of the lighthouse on foot, we lucked into multiple schools of upper slot trout, and a few slot reds. Caught over two dozen trout by 11am (near end of low tide). Released most of them, including five over 21 inches and my personal best 28.5 inches, which was thankfully barely lip hooked on a barb-cramped hook. They were feeding in creek holes and troughs; we did not try any creek mouths. They seem to be "all or none" in the creeks, with some empty and others chock full.
5b0cad7f-d67a-4c85-83e0-a47c0ff60abd (1).png
Y'all did good, it might have been after we left to hit the ramp at the fort, I didn't see you parked at bathrooms so we may have been ahead by a little bit. The funny thing is I threatened to go by myself and hike into creek fish if I was going by myself and it looks like that's what we should have done. Nevertheless it was worth the ride, we pulled a boat having major motor issues back to the fort ramp.

ropeman

Post by ropeman »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 3:54 pm Wasn't a soul in sight at the ramp this morning Image
That's about as low as I've ever seen it!
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

ropeman wrote:
doomtrpr_z71 wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 3:54 pm Wasn't a soul in sight at the ramp this morning Image
That's about as low as I've ever seen it!
Yes, I was quite shocked, my tide app said -0.4 but that looked like way more, I had pictures from what was supposed to be -1.1 during the covid lockdowns and it was not nearly that low.