St Marks 12/31

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BeeeReady

St Marks 12/31

Post by BeeeReady »

The boss let me off of work at 11:00 and I already had the boat at work and hooked up ready to go. I got to the fort ramp around 11:25 and saw plenty of boaters coming in from the dense fog. After chatting with a few people who said that the bite was really off, I motored out at about 15 mph watching for other boats. I think I only saw about two or three boats on my way out, even though the ramp was fairly full but it was hard to see any more than 25 ft in front of me. High tide was at 1:30 p.m. so I knew I had plenty of water to get into some creeks. I headed east and stopped at the first spot by some rock grass and deep holes. It was about 12 or so and I decided to cast the soft Dine. I didn't have so much as a bite for a good while. I tried several baits. The baits I used included mirrodines, and a yozuri or two, as well as a few soft plastics. Not a bump. I carefully moved to a few more spots with no success. After the tide switch I caught my first trout at about 10 inches at about 2:15, and then caught a puffer fish. It was very windy and the water was disturbed. The overall conditions was water temperature 65°, wind blowing a steady 12 knots and the bottom was pretty cloudy a C-. I decided to call it a day at 3:00 as the fog was still terrible and I had caught two fish in about 3 hours. I made it back to the ramp safely and chatted with other fishermen who had similar luck. Just when you think you have everything figured out the fish and the weather will humble you. It was still a great day on the water and it was nice to get my last trip in for the year as I had planned. I hope everybody has a good New Year.
Backcountry 189 Pro Guide
Suzuki Df140
Semper Fi
kenfly

Re: St Marks 12/31

Post by kenfly »

Thanks for the report, this dang weather has been so crazy and unreliable. And the fish have been the same way, think you really have to be just at the right place at the right time which I know right know is a lot of the draw
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks for the report. Wind and fog at the same time must be strange.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Yeah, Beeready, thanks for the report. I fished some good spots thoroughly on the 31st and didn't hook a fish. Had some action way up a creek on Saturday. Constantly changing winter conditions sure do add to the challenge of catching fish in Apalachee Bay. Dense fog Friday and Saturday, Gale force winds on Sunday and then a 15MPH wind out of the north on Monday has blown all the water out of Walker Creek.
BeeeReady

Post by BeeeReady »

Salty Gator wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 9:35 am Thanks for the report. Wind and fog at the same time must be strange.
I have experienced advection fog many times before, especially aboard ship. it is weird and otherworldly.
Backcountry 189 Pro Guide
Suzuki Df140
Semper Fi
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

BeeeReady wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 6:02 pm I have experienced advection fog many times before, especially aboard ship. it is weird and otherworldly.
It was pretty eerie not being able to se the next channel marker!
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

The worst thing to me in those conditions is that the mist keeps my glasses fogged up to where it is a pain in the ass and I’m nearly blind without them. I guess just a part of paying your dues!
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

eightwt wrote: January 4th, 2022, 2:17 pm The worst thing to me in those conditions is that the mist keeps my glasses fogged up to where it is a pain in the ass and I’m nearly blind without them. I guess just a part of paying your dues!
That was happening to me last Saturday with my sunglasses. If I pulled them further down away from my eyes it doesn't seem to be as bad. Don't know if that works with regular glasses.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Image :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

My neighbor and I fished 12/30 and caught 1 trout despite hitting multiple spots and throwing multiple baits, With the negative low tides, we did not fish until about 1:30 pm on 12/31 and were not sure where to go or what to do. We went back to the same place we caught the lone trout the day before and found one pod of active fish. We ended up catching a limit of trout by 4 pm from 17.5" to 21". Water temp was 66 and clarity was good. Bait did not seem to matter as we caught them on 3 different ones. but we did have to slow our presentation down. Fog ran us off the water.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Juan wrote: January 6th, 2022, 3:11 pm Image :-D
Thanks for the idea, WalMart carry those?
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

eightwt wrote: January 9th, 2022, 8:21 pm
Juan wrote: January 6th, 2022, 3:11 pm Image :-D
Thanks for the idea, WalMart carry those?
They're in the fishing section, next to the fish stretchers. :)
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/