Alligator Point surf fishing

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wlhopkins

Alligator Point surf fishing

Post by wlhopkins »

Hello everybody. Coming down the weekend of August 12th to do some surf fishing. We are staying close to Bald Point. Any advice on best rig to use and good places to fish? I would appreciate your advice. Thank you!
MCC

Re: Alligator Point surf fishing

Post by MCC »

I’ve honestly never had much luck surf fishing there. Usually sand trout/whiting/croaker/sail cat/occasional black drum, and of course sharks and rays. Usally just fish a dropper or surf rig starting with shrimp. I’ve fished all 3 AP accesses as well BP, all produce equally. If you’re adventurous you can hike from BP to Chaires Creek and fish the mouth, or if you have access to a yakk launch at tucker and fish chaires.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Can you walk to Chaires Creek and end up somewhere besides the bridge?
MCC

Post by MCC »

BloodyChamp wrote: July 29th, 2022, 5:30 pm Can you walk to Chaires Creek and end up somewhere besides the bridge?
I’ve walked from Bald point to the mouth of Chaires. You will have to Wade especially at high tide, but it’s completely doable if you’re up for an adventure.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

If possible fish the falling tide on bald point around the oyster bars. Will be in the afternoon time for the dates mentioned. Bring a pair of shoes you trust to protect the planters from the sharp shells and get to walking. You will get wet starting out; but as the tide falls your will be high and dry.

You will find there is a shallow side and a deep side to the salsa bowl oyster bars. Grab a pack of jigs heads, gulp shrimp, and pitch around the bars for trout, reds, flounder, and mud donkeys.

Side note; the sunset from bald point may be worth the expedition alone.

Good luck.