St Marks line

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bead

St Marks line

Post by bead »

Before I get hammered for asking, I did try a search to no avail. At the lighthouse, the line of poles, what can be caught there and beyond the line?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks line

Post by Steve Stinson »

I am not sure which line of poles you are talking about. There is the remnant of an old dock there right near the landward end of the real long oyster bar that runs perpendicular to the shoreline. That bar is a good place to wade or kayak fish. There's a deep channel that cuts around the landward end of the bar and some folks (myself included) use that as a travel path when running the shoreline, so you will need to tolerate some boat traffic. I can tell you from my experiences near Rock Isl. and Spring Warrior that even the loud airboats don't seem to spook the fish very much. I've had them run right past my boat or right into a creek where I was headed to fish and still managed to catch good fish after they pass.

The other line of poles I know of is called "The Stake Line". It stretches from the Lighthouse area all the way to the Aucilla River entrance and marks the outer boundary line of the St. Marks Refuge. There is good fishing out there certain times of year, but it is probably further out than you would want to kayak.

I am not sure I answered your question, but hopefully this helps.

- Steve Stinson
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

You are probably referring to "Long Bar". A variety of fish can be caught there, from Trout, Redfish and Spanish Mackerel to Ladyfish and Puffers. The bar runs Southwest from just off of the lighthouse to the channel marker. You will probably see other kayakers as well as some folks wading from time to time.
bead

Post by bead »

Thanks for the info! Not in a kayak though. We fish the flats but also see many boats out past the line of poles and haven't ventured out there yet.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Thats the stake line, plenty of fish beyond there.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

You're talking about the stake line... I remember there actually being intact stakes there as a kid. Now it's mostly a few buoys, one stake (pile) in the mouth of Goose Creek Bay on the Live Oak end, maybe one or two over around the lighthouse, I can't remember for sure. I'm not very well traveled East of the lighthouse. It's still marked on a lot of paper charts and some chartplotters. Like someone else said, I believe that marked the outside limits of the St. Marks NWR. Plenty of fish either side of it.