Spanish Macks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

satsuma

Spanish Macks

Post by satsuma »

Anyone been catching any spanish? I'd like to take my kids out this weekend to troll for some. Any advice on where I should look for them?
Thanks
leonreno

Re: Spanish Macks

Post by leonreno »

I fished the flats at Steinhatchee the last two Saturdays, didn’t catch or see any Spanish, did catch or hook a ton of lady fish. We fished out to about 10’. We were not targeting them so could be there and didn’t catch them.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Dog island reef my favorite place to troll for them. I like a gold and silver Johnson spoon. Switch to whatever is working the best. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Thanks yall.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Went yesterday looking for them on the fly. Fished some familiar haunts with no success. Not much else either. Oh well, gotta pay my dues
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

8wt, I got a few Spanish this spring though I wasn’t specifically targeting them. Am back in Montana now but tied up some Clousers in the manner pictured below, though I left the front half of hook exposed instead of wrapping it with thread. The theory being that instead of a 40# shock tippet, the hook shank would act to prevent the Spanish from cutting the fly off. I never ran across a good school of Spanish and so never put one of this style Clousers on to use to target them.

I did target and land a couple Tripletail before I left in late April. PM me if you want info on how that worked. Good luck my man.

eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Good looking fly. Yet to tangle with a triple tail. Need to work less and fish more.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I didn't find any at steinhatchee in any of my normal spots, just a couple random ones on the flats this past weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

RobFishing

Post by RobFishing »

Well mates, just been fishin' last weekend, no Spanish macks'. Try workin' near the channel markers, ye might get lucky. But remember, every day on the water's different, so keep tryin' out different spots an' techniques. Good luck, fellas!
GA