Keys Question

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Saltydawg

Keys Question

Post by Saltydawg »

Realize that this ain’t a Big Bend question but figured with all you fishing folks out there I’d pose it. My wife n I planning to revisit the Keys this Fall by car, hoping to see pretty water, sightsee, snorkel some n maybe try to fish one day. That said, does anyone out there have a guide/service somewhere along the chain they’d recommend?
Michael171

Re: Keys Question

Post by Michael171 »

Not fishing related, but I highly recommend taking the Yankee Freedom ferry to Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas National Park. We went last spring and this was by far the highlight of the trip. There are also several companies that charter sea planes out to the Fort if cost is not a concern, but the boat ride was comfortable and enjoyable. Have fun and safe travels.
Big Tim

Post by Big Tim »

I am no expert but I have been to the Keys a few times. For flats/backwater you want to charter out of Key Largo or maybe Islamorada. Blue water/reef Islamorada, Marathon or Key West. I personally like Marathon for its central location and proximity to the seven mile bridge plus the lack of freaks and homeless as compared to Key West. There are charters at all these locations. I rented a 22' catamaran out of Marathon and guided myself one year. Got a chart and took off. I caught fish mostly smallish snapper, small sharks, permit, unidentified creatures and something that broke 70 lb braid that is still swimming as far as I know.The boat was not pristine but sea worthy and fished well. Hope that helps. Good luck.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I also recommend taking the ferry to the dry Tortuga's, I fished while I was out there but all the good fishing spots are no fishing zones from the bank. I would stay in marathon or islamorada as well. Key west is different....it's like a weirdo version of new Orleans. My recommendation for a charter would be American allegiance charters out of big pine key. I've also fished the yabba Dabba Doo out of islamorada as well and he did a good job.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Saltydawg

Post by Saltydawg »

Yeah, I’m actually trying to” build” our trip around going to Dry Tortuga. That’s been on my bucket list for quite a while. Probably revisit/snorkel at Pennecamp, where we camped with our sons 25+ years ago and basically wander our way south with idea of staying in Key West just long enough for the ferry trip. Gonna try to arrange a light tackle fishing trip if possible, maybe baby tarpon or similar inshore as our primary gulf fishing is in the Steinhatchee area shallow water. We both love the aesthetics and variety of that place and type of fishing . I know fishing doesn’t necessarily mean catching but would like a guide easy to get along with and fun.
Mike@jb

Post by Mike@jb »

We stayed at Hawks Cay several years ago, and had a good time. It's a little pricey, but there's lots to do.
My oldest son and I fished with a guide. The youngest went on a group dive. The ladies hit the pool.
Key West is an easy day trip from there (near Marathon).
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

There is a gentleman I know on another forum and I can't for the life of me remember his last name. However, he goes by DTB on upland journal. I contacted him to see if he is still a guide down in the keys and this is how he responded:

Yes Dani,

I’m a lifer. Thanks for thinking of me.
Not sure when he is coming but I don’t have any time available until July.
He can text me at (305) 393-2423. If he specifies what type of fishing he is most interested in I can make some calls for him.
I appreciate the referral.

Dave

I haven't fished with him personally but have heard from folk who have, and they have always been happy with him. If he hasn't been available, he has been able to put folk in contact with other guides that would possibly be available.
Saltydawg

Post by Saltydawg »

Wow! Thx for going to the trouble of looking that guide up and great timing as gonna try to make my Dry Tortuga ferry reservations today and start working backwards from there for rest of trip so I’ll give him a holler and since we talking bout 5 months out may be able to hook up ( literally I hope) with him. Thx again.
RobFishing

Post by RobFishing »

Sure thing tor nearshore/reef fishin', gotta say, Salty Goat Charters's a winner 305-900-8765. They're real pros, know every nook and cranny 'round the islands and reefs. If you're lookin' to save a few bucks, Cora Beth Fishing's party boats are darn affordable 305-394-3659,. And try to google some names here https://super-fishing-charters.com/fish ... /key-west/ Hope this helps ya!
GA