1st Inshore Trip 2023

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

TOWM

1st Inshore Trip 2023

Post by TOWM »

Me and a buddy at work went out yesterday from the Fort. Started at sunrise and fished until 1:00. The first two hours were gorgeous…mild wind, pleasant temperature…great time to be on the water. We loaded up the live well with pinfish and then went to the stake line and drifted. We caught sharks, sail cats, and several 14 ¾” trout. Around 8:30 the wind started picking up, and by 9:30 we were drifting too fast. We switched to Gulps under CajunThunders. White and New Penny caught fish, but no keepers. We added some sea bass to the catch.
Around 11:00 the wind died down and it was a perfect drift. We continued cracking Gulp’s under a cork and bounced and swam a variety of plastics. We caught some ladyfish and Spanish mackerel along with several under limit trout. Every color used caught fish (white, new penny, root beer, green, pink, black). Z-man, Gulp, Slamshady, Cocahoe, and other brands worked. Size mattered…4” or larger baits got more bites. Five to six feet with structure and/or potholes held the fish. Outside the stake line we got very few bites.
Sadly, we failed to land a keeper. Maybe next time…..
ropeman

Re: 1st Inshore Trip 2023

Post by ropeman »

Sounds like my experience from last Saturday. We did manage 1 Trout that was barely over 15" but several sail cats, ladyfish and some weird looking "grunt" a few big fish that didn't get close to the boat and several small sharks. Glad it will be scallop season soon because the fishing (catching legal size) seems to be slowing down for me.