Hello, new here

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mapper

Hello, new here

Post by mapper »

Hello,
I've been around the area a bit but haven't fished it much. I'm hoping to change that, but have the learning curve to do.
I've about got the boat to my liking except fuel guage.
So im looking for fishing reports.
I still think I'll need to pick my days in the 19 foot boat to go out deeper. But should be enough days to pick.
ropeman

Re: Hello, new here

Post by ropeman »

Welcome! There are plenty of spots to fish with a 19' boat unless you want to target snapper or grouper. Check out Navionics and get an idea of where the hot spots are. It helps to learn the names of different features in the area. https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@6 ... 0yDz%60aaO
mapper

Post by mapper »

I've got navionics app on phone, chartplotter is humminbird helix9 with navionics and coastmaster charts, only been out to st marks reef so far, even putting way points in on reefs, etc. So I'll work toward oar reef, etc.
Navionics charts better for upper wakulla river to st marks, haven't tried both as comparison for same chart coverage.
Boat is 2016 nauticstar xs1900, 115 yamaha. T top,

There is supposed to be update to coastmaster maps but haven't looked at it yet.
And yes eventually snapper and grouper are targets.

I'll look into fuel sending unit to see if that helps with fuel guage issue.
Supposedly 66 gal capacity. From full to 1/4 on guage is 26 gallons refill.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

mapper wrote: June 28th, 2023, 11:44 am I've got navionics app on phone, chartplotter is humminbird helix9 with navionics and coastmaster charts, only been out to st marks reef so far, even putting way points in on reefs, etc. So I'll work toward oar reef, etc.
Navionics charts better for upper wakulla river to st marks, haven't tried both as comparison for same chart coverage.
Boat is 2016 nauticstar xs1900, 115 yamaha. T top,

There is supposed to be update to coastmaster maps but haven't looked at it yet.
And yes eventually snapper and grouper are targets.

I'll look into fuel sending unit to see if that helps with fuel guage issue.
Supposedly 66 gal capacity. From full to 1/4 on guage is 26 gallons refill.
My 49 gallon tank in my 19' Kenner w/115 OPTI is like that. Not accurate at all. Just fill it up each time and don't worry about it. I do that and have figured my average day burn is between 9-12 gallons. :-D If I ran offshore I don't think I would burn more than 15-20 max.
mapper

Post by mapper »

I was trying to run it down and see where it gets but only got to 1/4 before I had to pull it from water. I could try to learn it and take a 3 gal fuelpax can with me when less than 1/4 or look at sending unit. Now the other thing I looked at was to get to 60 foot of water it's going to be a ride. So it may be a toss up of marine fuel vs truck fuel..
Good thing it's just a 115, lol.. but still I'd like to have a better idea of fuel level.

I think the fuel sending unit must be brothers with the oil pressure guage in my truck..
A "yes or no" model.
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

I have a 18.5 flats boat that has probably been farther off shore than it should. Of course the seas and weather had been flat calm days before and after those trips. Gas gage has not worked for years, just fill up before taking a long trip out every time. Also have a Helix 9 with Coastmaster and also Navionics . Google the county and public reefs and you will find plenty close in, Fish’n areas.
wacissaguy

Post by wacissaguy »

I fished a 17 ft cobia out to the k-tower, leaving out of the lighthouse ramp for many years. You definitely have to pick your days carefully, and watch the weather very carefully while out. We only had 2 close calls on the weather in the 10-12 years we did that, and yes my friends thought I was crazy,-although I don't remember anybody turning me down when I invited them. The boat had a yammy 90 on it and the fuel gauge was just as bad as yours, so I made sure to write down the gallons of fuel I had to replace on each trip, until I knew the average.