No Venting Tool Required: A Fishing Report

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

No Venting Tool Required: A Fishing Report

Post by John21:6 »

The current fishing regulations require us fishermen to carry some sort of venting tool or descending device when fishing for reef fish, like grouper and red snapper. Yesterday, however, we didn’t have much use for a venting tool. The sharks vented fish for us, time and time again.

Additionally, the fish made it hard for us to catch them in the areas we fished south of Carrabelle in depths ranging from 90 to 112 feet. Many spots that were productive in the past seemed to hold little or no fish. Fortunately, the seas were calm and clear and the porpoises put on a show for us, which made for a real nice day on the water.

I’ve also decided to try something new every time I go out. So we tried trolling a pair of 5 1/2 inch Rapala plugs. One plug was pink, and the other purple. The purple plug caught a small mahi-mahi after a few minutes of trolling. The pink plug had a defective lip and just flopped around in the water. If I had two properly working plugs, I think it would’ve been worthwhile to troll a bit more. If anyone has any special trolling techniques they use for mahi-mahi, it would be great if you would say what you do in the replies to this post.

We ended the day with six red snapper, two mangrove snapper, several lane snapper, and a mahi-mahi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by John21:6 on June 30th, 2023, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
illinoisfisherman
Site Sponsor

Re: No Venting Tool Required: A Fishing Report

Post by illinoisfisherman »

Very nice
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

We fished Thursday and Friday but had to work for our catch, moon? Tide? Current? We did manage limit of ARS both days. The bite just never turned on,cigar minnows were the bait they were hitting most
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

Greenbone wrote: July 1st, 2023, 8:18 am We fished Thursday and Friday but had to work for our catch, moon? Tide? Current? We did manage limit of ARS both days. The bite just never turned on,cigar minnows were the bait they were hitting most
Thanks for confirming that it wasn’t just my dad fishing techniques.
Billybob

Post by Billybob »

Nice load of fish. Thanks for sharing