Keaton beach May 3-5 trip.

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Keaton beach May 3-5 trip.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

(Day 1 Friday) :-D Lavon, Daniel and I got to Keaton around 7:00 Friday, unloaded our stuff at the rental and got launched. Was worried that the low wind forecast for the weekend would mean no drift. Luckily NOAA was wrong and we had the perfect amount of wind. Decided to go south first and check it out. Water temp was 78-79 and the fish were biting. But most of them were too short so we headed north. Made several stops along the way picking up a few keepers here and there. The dirtier the water the more keepers we would get. Got to what we were pretty sure was 14 trout in the box so it was time for a fish count. So I put my phone in my shirt pocket and closed the velcro over it. I dug all the fish out then squatted down at the side of the boat to rinse my hands before taking a picture of the fish. Well...when I squatted down the side of the boat pushed my phone up and out through the velcro. BLOOP!!!....AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!! :bang_1 water dark, 7' deep, drifting fast and no mask on the boat equals no chance of recovery. Stupid stupid stupid!!!! After calling my wife(on friends phone) and breaking the bad news it took me a few minutes to compose myself. Well nothing I can do about it so back to fishing. We had one more trout to catch. We waded trough a bunch of shorts and finally got it and headed in. Got all the fish cleaned and then got showers. Then off to dinner at Kathy's crab shack yummy. After dinner we vac sealed all the fish, made some tackle adjustments for the next day and hit the hay. Will edit and add photos later. :-D
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Keaton beach May 3-5 trip.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Pics from day one Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

(Day two Saturday) Forgot to mention on way in yesterday we baited and set the pinfish trap. We got up and eased out the canal just as it was just starting to get light. Went straight to the trap thinking we were going to load the baitwell......not! Nothing but one small black sea bass. :smt011 I swear I am never fooling with that thing again. Same water conditions as the day before so we went straight to where we ended yesterday. We were steady putting fish in the box(in between shorts and net malfunctions) till around 10:30 then the bite died. After about an hour of trying different things I finally figure out what they want and fish start hitting the cooler again. We got our limit earlier today with some bonus fish. So we headed on in to try to make it to Wilson's to stock up before going to eat. And since we are in Perry...Deal's here we come! Man what a good meal. :lick: Then back to the cabin to to vac fish and get ready for our last day. Pics coming.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

(Day 3 Sunday) Last day so we had to pack up and load the truck before fishing. We decided today to head in at 10:00 no matter what we had in the box and not run as far north. The fish were very aggressive but most of them were not our target species lol. We did manage 4 sea bass and 3 trout. One sea bass was 16" he fought good. No pictures today as we were ready to get home. Was the first time in several years that we were able to get our schedules together so that we do a trip. Was a great time with great friends and can't wait until next time. :-D
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Heck yeah! thats what I like to see! glad yall all got to go and had a good trip
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I see you're a man of culture with that bluefish

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Thanks for sharing: looked like a great long salt therapy session was had! Well deserved I’m sure!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

FTReelty wrote: May 7th, 2024, 10:03 am Heck yeah! thats what I like to see! glad yall all got to go and had a good trip
Thanks been a long time coming :-D Can't wait till next time. :smt004
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 12:22 pm I see you're a man of culture with that bluefish ImageImageImage

What you got against blues lol? Bleed them soon as caught and cut off the red meat and they are delicious. :lick: Now I don't eat mullet. :-D
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Red Beard wrote: May 7th, 2024, 12:23 pm Thanks for sharing: looked like a great long salt therapy session was had! Well deserved I’m sure!
It was great been a couple years since done a 3 day trip. :-D However my cellphone got a little too much salt therapy. :smt011 In fact it's still somewhere out near Spring Warrior.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Yeah but being able to fish for three days without a phone is a blessing.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Red Beard wrote: May 7th, 2024, 7:18 pm Yeah but being able to fish for three days without a phone is a blessing.

Yeah but without a phone I can't take fish pictures. Lol :-D
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:
doomtrpr_z71 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 12:22 pm I see you're a man of culture with that bluefish ImageImageImage

What you got against blues lol? Bleed them soon as caught and cut off the red meat and they are delicious. :lick: Now I don't eat mullet. :-D
Nothing, I do the same, but some get judgemental ImageImageImage

I do like some fresh smoked mullet

John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

Great pictures.