St George Island

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Saltydawg

St George Island

Post by Saltydawg »

Here on beautiful St. George Island for a family beach week with some bay fishing thrown in. Speaking of beach, yesterday for some reason there was a TON of sea grass that had blown up into the first 20 yds of the surf and pockets further out. My son was trying anyhow and when hauling in his line and pounds and pounds of grass lo and behold there was a 23 inch speckled trout encapsulated in a wad of grass. 23 inches but unfortunately no fight because of grass and it was hooked in the gills so we kept it instead of our normal release of any over 20. Today we hit the Apalachicola Bay for several hours right before high tide with my other son, his wife and my 4 year old grandson . I was mostly “ baby fishing “ trying to help grandson catch some pinfish. Small catfish were our primary catch but my son and his wife got 5 nice trout and several shorts and another 23 incher that we were able to release this time. In the slough we were fishing 6-8 inch mullet were jumping everywhere but the trout were hitting white Gulps with pink tails almost exclusively. I was able to throw some hard baits and mirrodines to try and imitate the mullet but no takers. I did get a super hard strike on a popping cork and it burned off about 100 yds of 10 lb test in probably 5-10 seconds. Had plenty of line n was hoping it was cobia but eventually it cut me off at leader so probably a shark but super exciting. After a pbj shore lunch on a beautiful sand beach we called it a trip( remember 4 yr old) but hope to hit that spot again tomorrow for the last 2 hours of incoming tide. Hope I’ll have more to report.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: St George Island

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Sounds like a fun trip. Thanks for posting. :-D
illinoisfisherman
Site Sponsor