tough scalloping, better than work

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rx fisher
Site Sponsor

tough scalloping, better than work

Post by rx fisher »

First time out of econfina, our misson scalloping. I've been scalloping before, but ran from St. Marks. I thought navigating the river would be tougher. we went an hour after low tide and just kept to the channel.

Weather service candy coated this forcast... we had white caps all afternoon and very overcast. kept waiting for the ceiling to lift, but just went for it. 2 1/2 hours to limit in 8-11 feet, 5 to 10 feet visibility.

Our fishing was mostly undersized trout. kept a couple of keepers.
No sharks or catfish? Today first cast with a top water resulted in a big lady fish. That only happened to me 1 other time and same thing happen, not another keepers all day. Fished, live pinfish under cajun thunder, several top water lures and grubs with cut bait and fishbites. My partner caught 1/2 dozen trout, most undersized, on equilizer and grub.

Couple questions, last year half of the scallops caught had small crabs in their shells, this year, 3 limits not a single crab, what does it mean?

Do top water lures stop being effective in chopping conditions?

Still a good day, helped tow another boater to safety and
the scallop dinner was worth the trouble.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I've caught fish all day with topwater baits in a chop. I think it has more to do with the time of year and weather conditions. I've done well topwater in the cold months, and usually when the sky is clear.

Sounds like you're also experiencing the short fish syndrome. I'm finding lots of trout, but few keepers. I'm thinking 30 days. It's close to time for the good fish to start moving back in. I'm about tired of 2 keeper days. However, I've confirmed I can't catch any sittin at the house. A bad day fishing is still better than not fishing. :D
What was I supposed to do today?
rx fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by rx fisher »

Thanks, I'll keep trying the top water action, what little success I've had has been a blast. An I'll try to keep my line wet, there's no catching fish at home.
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

rx,
Sounds a little deep to me on the scallops. I started out that deep and have worked in to 3-5 ft. You must have been on 'em though in order to limit. Cloudy water must have moved 'em out. I dunno. Glad you got 'em nonetheless! I can't believe you didn't catch a shark on the pinfish under the popping cork. Man, that's all I've been getting besides the occasional catfish. Keels is the master when it comes to the cobes. Is that what you were after...or trout? Hopefully the bite will pick up along with size in the next few weeks. I'm with tin can on the 30 days........That's JR's prediction. :lol: What day did you go. I passed a boat towing another on Sunday I think. It's just about an everyday occurence. I keep a tow rope handy. Thanks for the report.

tf
rx fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by rx fisher »

trout,

we went Thursday, it was so overcast in the am that we fished a little hoping that it would burn off. We tried to get closer in, and more shallow, but the river just made everything harder to see. Then high tide hit and we were in deep water, we had a good work out.

I would love to catch a cobia, but a trout will do. I use circle hooks with pinfish under cajun thunder while we clean and chum with the scallops,but no luck.

I'll keep trying, they call it fishing.