boat towing

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rx fisher
Site Sponsor

boat towing

Post by rx fisher »

I usually fish out of St. Marks and Econfina, very much inshore fishing, not more than 5 miles out. Thinking about joining a boat towing club. Any experience? I've looked at the FS site, I don't want to open a can of worms, just a little heads up.
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

I saw an add in Woods N Water for Vessel assist. It stated that it starts a $10/month. Not sure what this includes. Also, I have been looking at insurance policies for my boat. For my particular boat I could get roadside assistance and all of that plus unlimited towing no matter where I was at in the water for $358/month. Remeber, that also covers me if I smack a rock and break the foot off, or if someone hits me on the highway to/from the water. I think that is a better deal.
Chug
rx fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by rx fisher »

I was reading in Saltwater angler and they talked about it costing around 40 dollars a year for up to 25 miles, I'm sure there is a lot of small print.
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

That sounds very cheap. I think seatow can cost several hundred dollars per tow. $40 a year is nothing if that is the case.
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

I bought Vessel Assist this year and for $89 it covers towing up to 30 miles from your boats location plus some other stuff like roadside assistance. I don't have the book with me but I figured for $89 it could save me a dollar and I very rarely venture more than 30 miles from where ever I launch. I hope I never use it but it gives me peace of mind.

Joel
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

For $89 I'm getting it! I thought it would be much more expensive than that so I never looked into it. I have heard stories about the 2 or $300 it cost to get towed to shore and figured the insurance would be high. That is cheap considering the piece of mind you get by having it. I would get it to 40 miles out though so it may be higher.
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

What is the number to call them?
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Chugbug, I bought mine at West Marine but you can call them at
(800)367-8222

Joel
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

Thanks for the info!