Rookie Advice

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hoosier

Rookie Advice

Post by hoosier »

I just bought a 16 cc boat(v-hull), and I was wanting some common sense advice. I bought the boat for the bay and flats around SGI. I was wondering how far I could take this boat offshore and be safe(assuming good weather and calm seas). I would not want to go far at all, but might be interested in some near shore wrecks or structure. Thanks for any advice...Great Site!
MAJMPS4

Fish It

Post by MAJMPS4 »

I fish in a 14ft Fisher Marine stick steering with a 25 horse and love it. I use it in the Rock Island area. Takes 2-3 seas well. Catght a 16lb cobia and the fish just drug the boat a bit until it was tired. As for trout and reds, it is nice to have a small boat to go in the skinny water. Good Luck. Tight Lines and Good Fishing 8)
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

It's all about common sense. We take a 17 ft CC offshore up to 25 miles at times and only in the best of conditions. The boat is self bailing has a bilge pump, VHF with 8 foot antenna, dual batteries and all the safety equipment. File a float plan and always watch the weather. At even the hint of weather change for the worse we are headed in. We never do it in the summer because of the certainty of storms. If you plan your trip, keep your head, and realize that no fish is worth your life then you should be fine. Also if anyone on the boat feels the least bit unconfortable its time to go. I have seen 20 foot flats skiffs and 18 foot aluminum boats 20 miles out so anything is possible.

It helps to watch for weather trends and become an ametuer meteorologist. I would highly suggest to anyone who fishes to take a meteorology course at TCC or a community college. I use the knowledge gained in that class everyday and can read a weather map and predict my own forecasts pretty well.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

hoosier

good info.

Post by hoosier »

Thanks for the replies. Good advice. I doubt that I would ever travel out more than 8 - 10 miles at most. I am aware of the changing conditions along the coast, and being a novice, about half scared to venture very far until I have my sea legs. I am very excited about my new boat and I will continue to watch and learn from this website...Thanks again.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I have a 17' cc and fish out of St. George quite a bit in the cooler months. Tom is on the mark. If you use common sense there are no problems. I fish 10 miles outside the islands on a regular basis. Quality fish can be caught within less than 10 miles during the cool months. I have been caught out there when the wind kicked up. I've brought my boat back in in 5' seas. It wasn't fun, and took a little time, but if you keep your head you're usually OK. I hope you enjoy the experience as much as I have. Good Luck!
What was I supposed to do today?
hoosier

wrecks or schools

Post by hoosier »

Since you guys know best...Do you spend most of your time looking for structure; rocks, wrecks, etc..., or do you follow the bait schools around in the bay, or probably both? I am hoping to visit SGI yet this fall if possible to try out my new boat. I plan on fishing around Goose Isl. and Sikes Cut, but I will need some pointers during the upcoming months. See ya on the water.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

A good bottom machine and knowing how to use it are essentials to offshore fishing. Grab a chart of Apalachee Bay and start plotting some areas. Any area on the chart that says RKY, CO, H are great places. One thing you can do in the fall is Just ride and look for dark patches. In water 35 feet or less the water clarity is usually good enough to see bottom and in some cases fish on the bottom. This is the case off St. Marks.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

slaw

Post by slaw »

You can do some excellent bottom fishing just 5 miles from dog island. Run south/south east for about 5 miles and the depth will drop to around 35ft. I don't remember the compass bearing, but you will almost always see other boats in the area. The area is littered with small rock piles. Drop a stretch 30 overboard, start trolling and have a marker ready. When you hook a fish, or see structure on the bottom, mark it and go back to bottom fish. This area is a quick 15 - 20 minute run from Dog Island and if the weather gets bad you can duck back behind the island pretty quick. Also try the Two Dogs Reefs on the way out (about 3 miles from the island), I have picked up several nice grouper off them. One around 18lbs.
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

well said everyone I can't think of anything else off hand...... you guys gave some great advice.......
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Your post states you might try Goose Island and Sykes Cut. If you fish the Goose Island area you might want to keep going east. Everything between Goose Island and East Pass produces trout and reds at times.
What was I supposed to do today?
hoosier

Post by hoosier »

Sounds great. I will try the great advice, hopefully in September...I have bought charts for the area and I am coming up with some game plans. When my potential trip draws nearer, I will start bugging you guys again to get some specifics on locationsk, rigs, and species to target. It is hard for me to fish here in Indiana, when I know what I could be catching down there in Florida. Oh well, can't aford to move, and besides, the deer hunting is great here...
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

We used to take my dad's skiff out to 25 miles. Limited only by fuel amount we could take. The only problem we had was the ride obviously. Other than that I second what Tom said. Keep your head and watch the weather and keep the bow into the wind, especially if you have a cut out transom. Good Luck!
Chug
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Tom.

Which charts show RYK, CO, H, I have an FS chart for Keaton area but it does not have that knid of info on it.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Any of the NOAA charts that you can purchase from http://www.waterproofcharts.com have those on them. The Garmin Mapsource CD Maps also have these on them.
Tom Keels
Site Founder