Spearfishing Question ?

This area is for discussing all aspects of diving and spearfishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Spearfishing Question ?

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Do most of the people spearfishing our area freeshaft ?
And for a beginner gun if i want a good one any comments please ( the reading on the spearboard comes up with a 48 or 52 seahornet or a wong . thanks frank
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Freeshafting is the only way to go for spearing over live bottom. If you are going after AJ's and/or spearing up in the water column, then line shafting is the right choice. The best gun will allow you to do both with very little changeover time.

I have a 52 SS Commercial. It was my first gun, but was a little on the expensive side. But I decided that it is better to get the best I could, rather than a gun I would have to replace. Plus the commercial muzzle and rigging makes it very easy to lineshaft or freeshaft and I can changeover in the water in less than 10 seconds.

I have used several billers and Sea Hornets and so they are all I can comment on. I would say the 48 or 52 sea hornet would be a good choice. If you get the regular model it can be converted to a commercial style later if you want.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the advice, never can get too much good info.. Tom are you planning on diving through the winter or waiting till it warms back up ?
Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by Wil »

Seahornet is definately the most versatile gun for our area. Either a 48" or a 52" depending on your stature. Go commercial if you can afford it. Also, when freeshafting or lineshafting, it helps to shoot a slightly oversized shaft. Example: a 48" seahornet comes stock with a 54" shaft, I prefer a 60" or a 66" myself.

Like Tom said, on live bottom killing grouper, snapper, etc, freeshafting is the only way to go. Now, killing big AJs on wrecks, or shooting mangroves inside the wrecks, lineshafting will be a lot cheaper. :-)
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I'm going to dive anytime the opportunity presents itself, which as of late, hasn't been often.

I have a 2 piece 6 mil suit and hood so I should be good to go.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Thanks for info, i'm thinking a 48" commercial seahornet .. where can i get the best deal on this + extra shafts ? thanks , frank
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Best to get the gun from a local diveshop. Extra shafts can be bought from Ray Odor at http://www.spearfishing.cc
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by Wil »

Tom Keels wrote:Best to get the gun from a local diveshop. Extra shafts can be bought from Ray Odor at http://www.spearfishing.cc
I'll second this. Coral Reef is our local dealer for Sea Hornets. The best part of buying the gun locally is the chance to get a feel for it in the store before you drop all that money on it. You might want to go ahead and buy an extra band or two for it while you're at it.

Ray Odor also sells all kinds of other goodies you might want to look into. When ordering your shafts, I'd recommend the following additions:

- replacement barb kit, because you will lose them eventually.

- .223 powerhead (aka PPD), because you will see the man in the grey suit while spearfishing

You'll also want to pick up a stringer. Coral Reef and Ray both sell them. Which type you get is mostly personal preference. I like ones that allow one-handed operation, like the 4th one from the left in this picture:

And if you don't already have some beefy gloves, go ahead and pick up a pair. Thin gloves aren't so great when wrestling with a toothy critter that isn't quite dead. Coral Reef sells some kevlar gloves that are awesome. They aren't that comfortable compared to other gloves, but they're indestructable, and will save you a bunch of cuts. They wear a little better after breaking in.

Wil
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

thanks, seems like he has the stuff.. frank
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Wil , question on oversizing shafts ? On the 52 in seahornet would u go with a 60 or 66 in shaft ? and your reasoning plz ? thanks frank
Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by Wil »

Frank Bradfield wrote:Wil , question on oversizing shafts ? On the 52 in seahornet would u go with a 60 or 66 in shaft ? and your reasoning plz ? thanks frank
I shoot a 60" freeshaft on a 48" hornet, and a buddy of mine loves his 66" freeshaft on his 48". That being said, I do have a 72" shaft for my 53" home-made gun, and it's a beast. Unless you're hunting big AJs, I'd probably use a 66" shaft on a 52" gun.

<edit>I would probably go ahead and get one of each size from Ray, and see which worked best. Everyone has different tastes. If you decide you like a particular size more, there are plenty of folks out there that would probably take the other one off your hands for what you paid for it, or close to it.</edit>

Wil
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Great idea, i'll try a couple of 60s and 66's and who knows may even tear em up or lose em before i can sell em but hopefully before then i'll know which i like best... thanks much,, frank