Insulated Fish Bags

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalach
Site Sponsor

Insulated Fish Bags

Post by Apalach »

For some time now I have been looking for a fish bag that is well made and large enough to handle a 24" or longer fish (may as well dream while I’m at it!). There are some good bags out there, but most of them are way too pricey for my needs. I had heard of the bags sold by Sam’s Club, but had never seen them at my local store until recently. They are made by California Innovations, come with Velcro fittings for attaching to a boat or yak, as well as for folding to a very compact 25" long by 9" wide, and 3" thick (what I call the "skunked" position).

This shows the well-placed Velcro strips for securing the bag flat for transport (blue arrows), either in your vehicle or on board your boat or yak. The red arrows show the position of the Velcro straps for securing the opened bag on a yak (or boat), for example to attach it to a crate, cleats, eyestraps, or bungees.

Here is the bag open on deck. The open bag measures 17" deep, 24" along the zipper, and 8" x 18" on the bottom. There is also a 7.5" long zippered pocket on the outside of the bag. To the right of the bag are my ice bags. I fill 2 one-gallon Ziploc bags about 3/4 full with tap water (to allow for expansion as the water freezes). These are then placed in my home freezer for later use. Or, if your frig has an icemaker, you can simply fill the Ziplocs with cubes directly. Or you can use empty plastic containers with lids, fill these to about 80% capacity, and place these in the freezer as well for later use. Block ice always lasts longer than cubed ice (the good ole surface area/volume effect), so I tend to prefer the solid blocks in the Ziploc bags, or in the plastic containers over the cubes.

According to tests conducted by California Innovations, this bag, when packed solid with frozen food, took over 6 hours to reach a temp at which the frozen food began to thaw. The bag is easily cleaned with a sponge and a little dishwashing detergent. So how much? Believe it or not, these bags sell for a grand total of $7.68 each. Soch a deal…
Billy Miller

Post by Billy Miller »

Perfect bag, I have been looking for sometime to finding a affordable bag to keep fish. Exactly where are they located at sam's club. I don't have a membership, so I will have to send someone. Thanks, for great information.
Billy
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

[quote="Billy Miller"]Perfect bag, I have been looking for sometime to finding a affordable bag to keep fish."

Hey Billy,
Be glad to pick one up for you tomorrow on my way home. If you like you can shoot me an e-mail: apalach@mac.com and we can set up a place and time to meet. They keep moving the bags around in the store, but I think they still have some.
Dick
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Good show Apalach. I kinda had the same idea, so bought one when I was in Sam's Christmas shopping back in Dec.
Looking at tournament bags (big $$$) online, made me think of it.
We had a couple of them already, and have been using them for hauling meat and frozen goods from Tally to Carrabelle on our bi-monthly trip to Publix. They are pretty durable and should hold up for a couple of years of fishing, if cleaned and dried after use, as you say.

Keep those good ideas coming.
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Yeah g--it's hard to believe they can sell a bag of this quality for that kind of money! I have seen similar bags going for $70-100 bucks on the Web--sure hope they have a lot more going for them than these bags do for that kind of money, although I don't know what that might be. Maybe genuine Siberian goose down insulation and a gold-plated zipper...??
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Good find Sir. The price is exceptional. :thumbup: I'd love one but I don't have a membership either. It would be much appreciated if you could bring one by one day. :wink:
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
bassmaster

Post by bassmaster »

Hey Apalach those are great bags!!, and you cant beat the price have one myself thinking about getting a couple more.
Terri Kelly

Post by Terri Kelly »

Apalach thanks for the info, I will pick me one up today sounds like a deal I can not refuse!!
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

With gracious help from Apalach I received mine yesterday & I must agree, it is an amazing bag for the money. THANKS!!
Now if I can just find a chance to use it :smt012 .
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
Terri Kelly

Post by Terri Kelly »

This bag is awsome, Thanks Apalach!!!!!
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Yeah--Littoral and I were trying to figure out how Sams could sell a bag like this for so little money. Since they stock these bags behind the frozen food lockers, we decided they probably sell them at cost so as to encourage folks (some of whom come in from out of town) to stock up on frozen goodies to take home with them. I mean who remembers to carry an ice chest around with them all the time? So having these bags available is probably a great loss leader that theymake up on frozen food sales. Makes sense to me, and I don't mind taking advantage of the deal if fishing is involved (or even if it isn't!)...