Night Fishing the Abyss

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Night Fishing the Abyss

Post by qoutrage »

After reading GC question about best lights for his boat for night fishing ( http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpbb/vie ... php?t=6078 ), I decided to ask the question. Who all fishes offshore at night?
I'd like to know more about. One of the first thought, I had about mods for the new 'old boat' was, adding running lights and maybe low intencity lights(neon) to fish by. Another thought was about the possibility of a strobe on a mast for ident (don't want to get run over out there). Is a strobe legal or would someone see it as a distress signal?
I haven't heard much about night fishing for grouper or snapper, but one of the Carrabelle old timers (them Millender boys) told me night time was a good time to catch'um.
Some of my favorite fishin' memories as a kid was catfishing at night on the upper Ochlockonee River near Thomasville. And, I have caught some nice bass at night with an old Jitterbug. Maybe, bottom fishing at night would be just as much fun and productive.
In the heat of summer, it only makes sense to fish at night, if the weather is good. With GPS and good lights, getting out and in shouldn't be much of a problem.
Any response will be appreciated. QO
GC
Site Sponsor

Post by GC »

I've never fished offshore at night. Did some flounder gig'n and a lot of shrimpin. Lights and back up batteries are KEY!!!
If you find a good grouper/snapper hole (not to far out) you want to try out one night over the summer, let me know and we'll make a two boat trip.
I know of a couple....but they're too far to go out and back at night.....and GC don't camp overnight on his 21 CC 30 miles offshore! :o
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Summer before last we had a group from BBF go out of Saint Marks (lighthouse) one evening. I don't remember a group going out last year.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
nautigator

Post by nautigator »

A few of the guys from another web posting all got together and did an overnight trip off Cedar Key some time ago with some success. I have tried it several times and did ok, mostly grunts and sea bass. I stay out on my boat regularly. My problem is that my usual crew doesn't get home till 6:30 pm and we usually try it on a Friday night and just fish through Saturday afternoon or even Sunday. By the time we get the boat loaded and to the water, eat, etc. I get out to a close mark and it's already 11+ pm. Then, it's catch a few and go to bed. If there is someone down my way that wants to buddy boat on such a trip send me a pm. I am going to make it a point to do this exact thing more regularly when the conditions get a little better. I am also looking for a couple of boats to make an overnight middle grounds trip in the spring/summer. I know the storms roll in, but watching the weather patterns closely, it can be done without much problem. It's kind of funny as I did nearly all my fishing at night on the southern east coast. Grouper, snapper, kingfish, I used to reserve the daylight hours for Dolphin and blue water trolling... I took a few pictures of the light(s) I use and emailed them to qoutrage. I am unsure of how to post them in the board, maybe he does...[/url]
nautigator

Post by nautigator »

It's nearly 22" long and about 1.5" diameter. 15w 12v light. I think I figured out the picture posting, here goes a try:

CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

FISHING AT NIGHT

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

Night fishing is great. Even if you don't catch anything it's peaceful when the stars are out. If you have guests aboard you can pee over the side and no one will know if the radio is on.

Trout fishing in shallow water is a blast, and top water lures work well.
Most fish will feed at night on the bottom, and there are some that only feed at night. Redfish like to get in real shallow water at dark and you can see them tailing with a head light.

No you can't have a stobe flashing atop the mast. Just a white 360 degree anchor light.

I use the LCD( $12.00 @ walmart)head lights. The red light is great for rigging and unhooking fish and it doesn't blind you. The white is great for shallow water, like when wading/ floundering. The batteries last forever.

I always carry one of the million candle power hand held lights for finding
channel markers and oyster bars in the dark. But I don't like to hold it long 'cause it's heavy and plays hell with my authritis.

Hope this helps...

Charlie
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Once you get used to the dark, night fishing is much more pleasant than day fishing, especially in during the summer.

I would suggest red lights for interior boat lighting. As Capt. Charlie stated, red light doesn't night blind you.

Learn to trust your electronics. You have a GPS to tell you where you are, and where you want to go (Might consider a spare). You have a bottom machine to tell you when you're there. And, you have a VHF radio to keep you posted on the weather.

I'm thinking of diong some night trolling this year. Might have to start rigging my boat with some red lights.
What was I supposed to do today?
nautigator

Post by nautigator »

tin can wrote:I'm thinking of diong some night trolling this year. Might have to start rigging my boat with some red lights.
Anyone ever done well with this approach? I have caught them all the way up to the point the sun dipped below the horizon and then nothing. Those lures have rattles and I would think it would work, but I was usually ready to go or anchor at that point. Always curious though...
Short Strike
Site Sponsor

Post by Short Strike »

Y'all fish at night? All this time I thought night time was for only 2 things...sleepin' :smt015 and stealin' :smt117 . See, I told y'all I was new at this stuff.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
--Doug Larson
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

It's been years since I spent the night on the water. I am looking forward to spending a few nights on the water this season. I remember what it was like out there with all the stars and surrounded by the quiet calm water on the flats. Some kind of awesome with a quarter moon. We sat far enough off shore so neither the skeeters or no-seums could reach us. I didn't hear the Wild Life Officer come easing right up behind us. It was a night I'll remember for a long time....
Gonna do it again this season....
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
doghouse

Over night father day's trip

Post by doghouse »

2 years ago my 8 year old son and I put in faather's day afternoon at saint marks and fished our way south and east of the aucilla. I had found a 10 foot deep hole over that way surrounded by 5 foot flats. We anchored up there and spent the night fishing the hole. We caught mostly sharks by floating pin fish under balloons. Sometimes we would hear them pop as a shark hit and he would dive for the rod. It was a great night and something I highly recommend. I was surprised we didn't catch any trout or cobia or anything but sharks that night but I guess you have to be out deeper. I had a floating light out all night, not sure if it helped attract the sharks on not. Coming back the next morning we found a mark and trolled up 5 grouper and then came on in. Great trip!.......doghouse
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Short Strike wrote:Y'all fish at night? All this time I thought night time was for only 2 things...sleepin' :smt015 and stealin' :smt117 . See, I told y'all I was new at this stuff.

:lol: :lol: :thumbup:
BKTomblin Jr

Post by BKTomblin Jr »

:smt017 Gettin back to mjsigns post...I know my memory is pooooor but it seems like I remember a trip we tryed one night (pm-am) bout a year ago . I dont think we had any luck ?? but the night was beautiful, and I think location was the only problem. Do fish hang out in the same locations at night as daytime?

I love fishin :lick: now I just need to start doing some "catchin"!!
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

I camped on the yamaha reef one night and all I caught was two 250+ lb bull sharks. There was no moon and it was pitch black. I think when I do it again I will watch the moon phase alittle closer. I had a coffee pot going and grouper fishing a first light. And whatever you do dont put a red glow stick on your swivel. 8)
Sea Ya !
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

I think, we got ourselves a convoy..
Thanks for the input guys. It certainly sounds like a fun way to spend a summer night or two. 'Just got to get the boat setup for it. I'm not even sure my current lighting works. 'Guess I need to check'em out, before I try doing it in the dark.

Yeah GC. We'll have to see about getting together. I'm not opposed to heading out on my own, but you are probably right about pairing up to get a feel for it. I got a couple of spots, that are 5 or so off DI, and I expect to have more by summer. I'm a rookie at offshore (and inshore too for that matter), and right now my trips out are learning experiences. My first objective is get out and back safely. Finding and catching fish regularly will come with time.

Gator, thanks for the light info. 'Gotta get a couple of those. I don't know, if I have the range for a middle grounds trip, but it sounds like fun. Like you say though, gotta know the weather will be good. In the summer that can be hard to do, due to convective activity not associated with fronts. Such activity generally builds and disapates with little or very slow movement. As long as it is offshore of your position, 'should be able to outrun it, I would think.... You should tell us about your boat sometime- sounds like a jam up rig.

And TC, I'm with you on the two GPS opn at night. As a matter of fact, I'm doubling up on a lot of things- 2 VHF's, I'm adding a second bilge pump and a third battery for lights and such. I've even thought about adding a 20 gal aux tank, if there's room for it. I'll be picking your brain on that later.

Thanks Capt C for straightening me out on the strobe light. I kinda figured it wasn't legal. 'Think, I'd still like to have one or two onboard for emergency purposes. Here's a link to a reasonably priced one at about $31 plus shipping. http://www.lumastrobe.com/Strobe7.htm Could mean the difference in living and dying, if you got dealt a bad hand with the weather or whatever.

DH. a Carrabelle local told me the same thing about lights in the water- draw sharks. But..I would think other fish, too.

All kinda good stuff discussed here, SS. We will try to help you with your problems. Sine in right here_____ the doctor will be right with you. :-D

Mako, ya gotta get hold of a farmers almanac :o . You guys probably just picked the wrong night :) .

MJ, the scene you set, is exactly, why I wanta do it. Well, and maybe catch some fish..

Anyway, thanks for all your thoughts and experiences. That's what this board is all about- Good folks and friends sharing ideas, opinions, and tall tales.