Single Blade Paddles?

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

Single Blade Paddles?

Post by Littoral »

Using a single blade canoe type paddle seems to have some real merit:
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... hp?t=24163
rev
Site Sponsor

Post by rev »

Interesting thread. I'd never thought of trying a single-blade.
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

Sounds like something I might need to try. I have a number of wooden canoe paddles in different sizes I can try to see if I like t.

Nathan
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

4 or 5 years ago, while fishing the west fork of the Chatooga River in N Ga, I watch a party of 8 or 10 kayakers put in for a float. Seems they were a club from one of the colleges in the area, I forget which one. . A couple of them were using what looked to be a standard canoe paddles. That sections of the river is mostly flat water with a little drop here and there, so only need to keep the 'yak straight with the current for the most part.
That observation prompted me to give it a try, and I have been using a single blade mostly, since then, except here.
The few times I have fished saltwater, I have used a standard kayak paddle for stability, as much as anything, because of wave action.
The last time I was on the water, I found myself doing most of the pulling on downwind side, trying to quarter the action to my destination. 'Had to take out about 200 yards from where I put in, because of it. A single blade would have been fine, considering the situation.
I would be interested in hearing how others do with it.