Tarpon Story for Litt

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalach
Site Sponsor

Tarpon Story for Litt

Post by Apalach »

Great yak-fishing tarpon tale from the Florida Forum on the KFS Board, courtesy of Iconn4:

"What a night!
With the surf temps reported to be 77, a jump from 73 earlier in the week, I anxiously loaded up for an all nighter on Biscayne Bay, in Miami.
I've been fishing the bay around Rickenbacker Causeway for about 18 months now...and the place has never let me down.
In the last few months the trout fishing there has been excellent with most of the fish caught in the slot.
Though it was Easter weekend, the area I fish has never had an abundance of fishermen....come to think of it, I've never run in to anyone.
Parking would be my only problem tonight. The Causeway was packed with cars but I managed to find a spot to launch. Was'nt in any hurry with an hour of daylight still left before the jetskiers and boaters would leave as well.
As I paddled out just before dark, I noticed what I thought were dolphins ahead. It did'nt take long before I realized these were huge tarpon on the hunt. Mullet begin flying out of the water in every direction and a monster Tarpon was in fast pursuit. Two more times in a matter of seconds, huge fish are blasting around me.
My first cast with a DOA Baitbuster gets chomped and the tarpon flys out of the water and throws my bait back at me.
Two more casts and I get drenched from a short strike right at the boat.
I'm in lala land. The sun is almost down and the pink glow of the sunset on the water and Miami skyline are surreal.
While all this is going on, my phone rings....figured it was Flyflinger, Tony in Jupiter...no time to talk.
Bang...solid into a bigun.....the thing is dancing on top with two big jumps and then it plows ahead with my Abu Baitcaster sceaming.
I'm being towed under the big bridge and on under the parrallel fishing bridge.
Being a holiday weekend in Miami, the fishing bridge is shoulder to shoulder with fishermen.
I start to let the folks know I'm coming through, but the tarpon does it for me. Another leap and splash and I'm coming through the fishng lines.
It was much like trying to get spider webs out of your face. Fortunately no one was upset as I am pulled further south and out of the lights of the bridge. Another fifteen minutes of give and take and I've gotten things settled down enough to give Flyflinger a ring....to let him know what he is missing.
Sure enough it was Tony who had called earlier, after filling him in on the details I tell him I have to go so I can gaff the beast.
The fish is only about twenty yards ahead of me and I have gradually increased the drag during the battle.
I had planned to be fishing for trout and the fifteen lb test with 30 lb leader takes a lot of time on a fish in the 50 to 60 lb range.
The fish had finally turned back down current so I'm at least headed back from where I came.
With a 5 foot gaff in hand I crank down only to have the fish kick into another gear and take out another 70 yards of line.
After 40 minutes of fighting the fish, my line parts. Oh well...I had some fun. With only an 10 inch leader I was surprised it had lasted this long.
Dropped my phone in the footwell trying to call ya back the second time Tony.
Hooked up two more times later that night...never got around to do any trout fishing."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lconn4, March 28, 2005 01:47 PM

Posts: 759 | Location: hollywood, florida, usa | Registered:: August 06, 2003
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Thank you sir.
Don't smoke but, after that, "I think I need a cigarette".